Universal Robots Forum

EASY: Method to Clean Up Filespace on Polyscope

Summary
A feature to clean up the old files leftover from deleting or saving .urp files.

What is it?
When a user deletes either *.urp or *.installation files the *.txt, *.script, and *.variables files are still present on the controller.

Another issue is that it appears as though Polyscope creates a new backup file every time you save a .urp file. The files have an extension of old1, old2, old3 etc. There can be hundreds of these files.

This feature would make it easier for users to keep the file space in Polyscope clean and manageable.

Why is it needed?
To clean up the old and unused files. In Polyscope there is no way to a) select multiple files at once to delete and b) view the date the file was modified.

3 Likes

In my opinion, polyscope does a terrible job of file management. Like @fuknrekd alluded to, anytime you move a URP or rename it, there are artifacts left behind that consume a large amount of space.

I also don’t understand the .old files since there doesn’t appear to be anyway to rollback a program. Are the old files there for the undo funciton?

UR needs to improve this because over time these artifacts consume a large amount of space. This can bite you during a UR Software Update if there is not enough room on the SD card to perform the update - resulting in hard fail. I had this happen to me.

But either way, this is not clean and if you are trying to maintain a remote backup of files this makes it difficult.

1 Like

Just bumping the thread. The UR file structure is a hot mess.

1 Like

Very well said @m.ricchino

Ok, seriously. What the hell is going on here. This is getting out of hand.

This isn’t just a mess, it’s causing performance issues. It’s causing eye strain issues. It’s causing the frickin’ moon to be out of faze causing massive tidal waves that are drowning my cobots.

FIX.

FIX NOW!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Just letting you all know that we are seeing this and I have forwarded this thread to Product Management so we can consider how we can fix it…except the moon-phase issue described by @fuknrekd. For that, we will have to vastly increase the payload of our cobots. It’s simple math, really…

Thank you all!

2 Likes

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Every time I add a new program (more like copy an existing one to modify into a new one) I seem to get more slowdowns, lagging, etc. Today is especially bad, had to reboot the cobot twice before lunch.

I also have had issues with accumulation of files that are either invisible to Polyscope or just plain laborious to clean up one by one. I couldn’t understand why backups were taking more than 15 minutes! According to Polyscope, there was only a few programs on the controller.
Eventually I identified that the customer had used a Mac to delete program files from USB memory stick used to upload new/revised programs. The Mac placed the deleted files into hidden .Trashes folder, which urmagic_upload_programs.sh kindly copied from the memory stick onto the controller during the next upload. Then urmagic_backup_programs.sh kindly included the .Trashes folder and contents with the files downloaded from the controller to USB memory stick during subsequent backups. Repeated cycling of this resulted in multiple copies of the entire set of files within the .Trashes folder.
I was finally able to clean up the file system by connecting via FTP. That enabled me to see the .Trashes folder in order to delete it and contents, as well as multi-selecting all of the redundant backup file versions.
A better means of file management will be greatly appreciated!
I appreciate the need to have a “clean” view of the files when loading programs and not having to wade through multiple backups.
Perhaps having a separate interface to the program or script Open dialog would be good, accessed by something like a “Manage Files” item in the Settings menu?

2 Likes

In addition, I would like to understand the relationship between the urp, old, script, and txt files and what causes each to be generated.

I have been using File Zilla to routinely purge files since I commonly rename programs or move them to stay organized as the application grows in scope.

2 Likes

^^^ Yeah. What he said.

Would be nice to know what creates this massive amount of files so we could try to avoid it.

Another thing that would go a long ways helping users sift through the sea of files is to be able to see time-stamps for the URP files.

I was messing around in the teach pendant and found out what and when the “old” files are made and that you can restore them (they’re backup files).

When ever you save a URP file it creates an OLDx file as a backup. It will create up to 10 of these files, over-writing the oldest one once you save more than 10 times.

You can see the files by clicking Open then changing the filter at the bottom right to “Backup Files”. I assume opening one will restore it but I’m not sure what happens to the original URP file.

There is still no way to see file details (size, date modified, etc) which would be very helpful.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

thanks for the tip.

I am realy afraid to open this :joy: because i have made for myself like 10 versions of a program and save it in the mean time also like 10 times. and over the course of 2 years, it will be a one big mess. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I started looking into doing this as well, but I’m afraid of deleting something that might be needed! Though I did make a full backup of everything, I don’t want to disrupt production if not necessary.

1 Like

I may have to go this route, too. That sucks because I’m not set up for that, but UR is taking a while to get this fixed and every time I add an new program my robot slows down more.

I’m to the point I have to reboot one of my robots every week or so because it gets hot and slows down.

My other robot is fine because it’s only got a half dozen programs.

1 Like