Can I run a program through Modbus or Ethernet IP?

Hello! I am wondering if there is a way that I can call a program on a UR Cobot through either Modbus or Ethernet IP. I have a main PLC running a larger operation and the UR needs to execute certain tasks depending on what the PLC is doing. I don’t want an operator having to press the play button on the pendant. There will be no operators in the automation line we are creating. Can this be done and if so, can you point me in the right direction to learn more about how to go about it?

Thank you very much. Best, Erick

Hi Eric.

Pretty certain this isn’t possible using Modbus. I am a bit unsure if it’s possible using Ethernet/IP as I do not have much experience using its interface, but my gut feeling after a brief search session, is that it isn’t possible.

I do know that the behaviour you want can be somewhat achieved through the dashboard client using a standard TCP/IP communication.

Best regards CG1

Hello there,

Yes, you can run a program through Modbus or Ethernet IP. Modbus is a communication protocol commonly used in industrial automation for transmitting data between electronic devices. Ethernet/IP, on the other hand, is an industrial network protocol that allows devices to communicate over an Ethernet network.

Hope, this will be helpful.