Safety plane just for TCP

Hello,

Our Cobot works with a hot tool and I´m trying to get the process safer. I want to create a plane that can´t be passed by the tool. That sounds like the perfect use for a safetyplane. The problem is, the robot stops too when the toolflange passes the safetyplane and that reduces the working space more than needed. Is it possible to edit the safetyplane on a way that just limits the TCP working space and nothing else?

1 Like

You may want to check out the TCP safety settings shown here:

You can read a brief description in the User Manual Section on Tool Position, 21.15.

Link to download page: UR Download | Support Site | Universal Robots

Thanks for your reply. I tryed to use this for my problem, but the robot still stops as soon as the toolflange passes the saftyplane.

Hi Julian

Did you ever find a solution?
as I am having the exact same problem.

Best Regrads Casper

Hi,

Are you using CB3 type or e-series robots? As I know, the safety plan should limit TCP only, not tool flange unless you do not set any values for the TCP. Do you set your TCP correctly? Moreover, in the e-series, you could set the TCP radius which could help you limit the TCP more precisely.

Thanks

HI Sya.

I’m Using an UR10e, and are trying to create a ceiling 50cm above the robot base that the TCP shouldn’t go above.
I have been playing around with adding the TCP as a “tool position” in the in safety settings with different radius’s, but the robot keeps reacting to the safety plane when the tool flange approaches it.

as our tool is 30-40 cm away from the tool flange most of the time (but not all ways) pointing straight down, this quickly becomes quit annoying.

It seems to me like this happens because the tool flange is always mark as a fixed “tool position” in the safety settings, but this is just a wild guess…

If you have any ideas I would like to hear them.

best regards Casper
PS: happy easter

Hi Again
Here is a picture illustrating the problem

where the red dot at the tool flange triggers the error even tough there is a well defined TCP aka the blue dot.

Best Regards Casper

That’s really strange that tool position isn’t working. Setting an offset to match your TCP and a radius should create a sphere at your TCP that will trigger the planes.

Edit: I see what you mean, going to play with it on a real bot.

1 Like

Yea, I got the same thing. Can’t remove the “Tool Flange” and so it triggers well before the defined tool position. I guess in your case you can at least offset the plane higher by the TCP length?

Hi Terry.

giving the plane an offset is exactly what I am doing right now, but it is far from an ideal solution.
The tool we have mounted is considered dangerous and is therefor not allowed to go above the shoulder height of the operator, but by giving it an offset you still have the possibility to twist the tool above shoulder height.

Because of this I also have to restrict the tcp direction, but this limits the use of the tool a lot more then we would like.

Best Regards Casper

Hey Casper,

Yes I can see why something like this would be critical for what you’re working with.

@sya is this an appropriate feature request? For the user to be able to remove or disable the “Tool Flange” tool position to better define their safety parameters.

I have a similar problem. I have several tools with different length which are note allowed to move lower than a defined high. (Robot is on a podest and TCP is not allowed to move lower than base coordinate system.) To set an offset is working for only one tool. But if the worker changes the tool the offset is wrong.

Is UR working on a solution for this kind of issues?

Hi Christian…
Ive made a “product wish” here which you could like in the hope that it gets more attention.

In your case it might be possible to use the “Dash board client” to load different installation files (each with their own offset) and restart the robot…

but it is a really hacky and slow work around…

Best Regards Casper

1 Like