Robot can't turn on after reinstall image

We have a UR5e and initially, its polyscope was version 5.1. I tried to update it to 5.5.1, version by version, but when I tried from 5.4 to 5.5, it failed and black screen all the time on the control pad. So I reinstalled the image following the instructions, but with the fresh-installed image, the robot stucks at booting after I hit the “on” button. Attaching the log here.

Did you install 5.5.1 or 5.4 with an image? It should be 5.4 I reckon, :slight_smile:

However, the error you’re getting looks to me like a joint firmware issue, which happens if you don’t initialize the robot between each update before 5.5. The robot will most likely need to be sent to UR for a firmware refresh.
If you can’t get rid of the error, you should contact your distributor.

Thanks for the reply! I actually tried both 5.5.1 and 5.4 for new image installation, and neither of them works – producing the exact same error code. I have a full backup of the old system which includes some firmware files when I search it, do you think those can be used for firmware refresh? I’m just trying to avoid sending the robot back since I guess it would take long. Though I’ve already contacted my local distributor while waiting for them to reply.

You can’t do a fresh install of the firmware, if it’s stuck in booting, as far as I know. That’s what UR told me back when I had the same error… :slight_smile:
You should have your distributor contact UR. Maybe they have a solution.

1 Like

I think you should be able to go back to 5.1 and it should still work.
Can you try to go back to 5.1 and see if you are able to power on the robot?
If that works, try to go through each update again, and power on the robot at each step. That should hopefully resolve the issue.

that’s a bit unfortunate, sorry to hear that. but yeah I emailed them and still waiting for them to reply

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah I will try to go back to 5.1 and see if that works. Will keep you updated on how it goes

Hi, I tried to go back to 5.1 and I still cannot start the robot – the error message is showing that “your robot’s firmware is too old, suggest to contact UR local distributor for help”. I guess that leaves me the only option to contact support at this point? I’m just curious that previously the robot was at 5.1 and it works, but why is the robot’s firmware suddenly being too old right now…

Either the firmware is corrupt (my suspicion) or the firmware is a newer version, and the error message is not taking into account that the firmware can be too new.
You can try to update up to 5.4 and see, if it works on any of the updates. If not, you need a distributor for further assistance.

I see. I will definitely give it a try. How do you resolve this issue by the way? Did you send it back for reflashing the firmware?

Yes. I had to send the robot arm to UR themselves, and they then installed new firmware in all joints. :slight_smile:

ah I see, thanks for the reply! The local distributor suggested me the same yesterday. One thing I’m not sure is the amount that I should pay for this – they gave me a quote that way beyond my budget. Is this normal?

It’s difficult to say what they offered you. :slight_smile: He might have offered you a full inspection and diagnostics of the robot - which includes firmware update, evaluation and calibration of all joints.
I wouldn’t say an evaluation and calibration are needed, though, without knowing how much you have run the robot. But I’m also guessing your distributor contacted UR and it’s what they suggested themselves.