Robot can't turn on from initialization screen

Hi

I have an old UR10 robot with CB2 that won’t turn on. I get to the initialization screen but the “ON” button can’t be pressed. I can easily navigate the rest of the menus. The issue might have something to do with the ControlBox as it is permanently “BOOTING”, but there doesn’t seem to be any issue with the Controlbox itself.

So far I have tried checking all cable connections, replacing the battery on the motherboard and installing a new robot image.

It should also be mentioned that we recently had to replace an encoder disc where we had to disassemble and reassemble a joint.

Thanks
Peter

3 Likes

You will need to update the joint firmware and probably the joint number in the last tab.

The older boards (especially the ones with the micro SD card are very ESD sensitive).

If you start a problem ticket in the UR site, they will give you a good troubleshooting doc for the controller. There are led lights along the main board that should get you to the root cause pretty quickly.

Good luck.

1 Like

If you go to Low Level Control and boot up the robot from there, you will be able to tell if a joint is not starting right.
You can also monitor the 48V and other parameters.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

I have now tried updating the firmware for all the joints, and the process seems to be successful. However, at the very end, after “Robot firmware successfully updated,” the following error is thrown: “OUTBUFFER OVERFLOW ERROR: 64.” I have looked at this post, which seems to be somewhat similar: Communication issue with Joint (RS485 receive Error 200). I am currently investigating this.

Additionally, all the joints have the status “BROKEN COMMUNICATION ERROR,” and in the log, I get the “C49A200: RS485 receive error.” It would seem that the communication breaks somewhere; however, I am not able to locate where. I have double-checked RS485 cable connections in the ControlBox and in all joints.

Thanks
Peter

Thank you for the reply.

I have now checked the Low Level Control and it does not look like the joints are starting correctly. All I can see is that the communication breaks somewhere, likely at the RS485. All joints say “BROKEN COMMUNICATION ERROR”.

Thanks
Peter

That could be a fault (or short circuit) in a single joint. The next step would be to isolate the joints one by one and trying to turn them on in Low Level Control.
If all joints boot fine individually, the issue is most likely the Masterboard (Safety Control Board).

That should be doable in a CB2, as far as I remember. :slight_smile: