Repurposing a retired UR5(e?), no teaching pendant

Can a UR5(?), salvaged from a retired medical digial microscope ( MODUS V) ever be repurposed for simple educational use? I imagine there exists a controller included inside, but no teaching pendant. Would this UR have password/license obstacles?
The alternative is recycling but would be a shame. thanks.

You can always flash a new install of the operating system (Polyscope) on to the controller, and it’ll be as new software-wise.
The issue could be possible faults in the robot arm.

If you can find the serial number, it’s easy to tell which model you have. If it’s a CB3 or e-series, you can definitely repurpose it. If it’s a CB2, you might want to consider scrapping it since it’s not possible to get CB2 parts anymore. :slight_smile:

Here’s a guide on how to tell the model from the serial number: Universal Robots - Serial numbers

I can’t find a ser# yet. I opened the controller box and noticed it contains a CX2030 cpu with DVI, USB…CX2100 pwr supply, maxon motor control…looks like custom rack mounted box though.

I’m persistent enough to poke at this but it mostly for the learning opportunity. I really don’t have any use for this…if it looks workable I’d donate to a school.
thanks for your reply!