Remote desktop to the controller UI

You can write a completely clean install of PolyScope (with Linux etc) by downloading an image. You can read more near the bottom of this page: Universal Robots - LEGACY DOWNLOAD CENTER

Thnak you so much! I now can operate the robot on my Ipad via VNC. The mouse is a little strange to operate but everything else works great. This is perfect when the screen wont work anymore! I need a new motherbaord, but till then, this is fine.

You’re welcome. I’m glad you got it running. :slight_smile:

And very interesting document you found regarding resetting the BIOS on CB2. I had not seen it before. :slight_smile:

I can successfully launch the VNC with

x11vnc -forever -display 0

and connect form a computer. But HOW can I make the service make autostart? Everything I tried, failed!

Locate /etc/rc.local and add the line to the text file:
x11vnc -bg -forever -shared -display :0 &

It will execute the command at boot. :slight_smile:

Hi

This I tried but it is not working, dont know why. My file looks like that:

rm -rf /tmp/* > /dev/null 2>&1

x11vnc -bg -forever -shared -display :0 &

exit 0

Which VNC viewer are you using and how do you get it setup to communicate with the robot. I dont see anywhere in the instructions how you establish the network (PC to robot) and which IP address is expected to be used.

I used UltraVNC Viewer but it really should work with any. Setup IP address on robot to be compatible with your PC (proper subnet mask, etc). It’s quite easy once you get the server installed on robot (you do need to reboot robot after installing VNC server on robot though).

Thank you this did indeed work! Now just need to set it up to auto launch based on the command updates provided throughout this thread.

As I installed the “URMagic_VNC_Installation_V1.zip” in my UR5e, but it did not work. Do you have any idea how can i solve this problem?

Hello sir

My robot is UR5e and it is Debian GNU/Linux 8.9 (jessie). And I already installed “URMagic_VNC_Installation_V1.zip” provide by yuva1. Unfortunately, I can not find any VNC Server in URCAPs.

However, I found your comment to update the sources.list to point to the archive repository in order to support the debian jessie. But I am beginner for this matter.

Could you please simply explain to me how can i solve this problem.

Regard
Peeranut Noonurak

Hello @peeranut.noonurak ,

I think the package you are referring to includes all the required files to install the VNC server, it is not necessary to update your sources if using that. It does not install a URCap, it just installs the VNC server directly into the linux system in the controller. Have you tried connecting a VNC client to the robot IP address using password easybot?

I am also looking for same kind of solution.Can you please elaborate the steps to do it
Thank you.

For what it’s worth, tested and working on 5.13 to install VNC by command line. use at your own risks:

Setup IP address on robot and your machine to SSH into the robot, root / easybot should be the defaults, robot should have internet access (plugged in a router for example)

edit /etc/apt/sources.list it should have all these uncommented:

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian jessie main
deb http://debian-mirror.ur-update.dk/debian jessie main
deb-src http://debian-mirror.ur-update.dk/debian jessie main
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main

sudo apt update
sudo apt install x11vnc
x11vnc --storepasswd

Then set a password and save it in the default path.
to run from command line (for one-off interventions):

x11vnc -forever -noxdamage -display :0 -shared -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd

EDIT: running on boot does not seem to work with a password due to permissions, I’m still fiddling with this part, but it works all right over SSH, will edit things below when it’s fixed.

To run on boot, crontab -e and add line:

@reboot x11vnc -forever -noxdamage -display :0 -shared -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd

Then use any vnc client, on mac do “Go->connect to server” in finder and vnc://{robot_ip}:5900

3 Likes

If anyone else needs this for their UR10e, what I did was the following:

1. connect robot to LAN
  2. make sure it got IP address (in my case that’s DHCP)
  3. connect to it via SSH with Putty with user root
  4. edit sources file (sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list) to include the following: deb Index of /debian jessie main
  5. save file (ctrl+x, y, enter)
  6. update sources list by running apt-get update
  7. install screen by running command apt-get install screen and comfirm with y when you see the line Install these packages without verification? [y/N]
  8. install x11vnc: apt-get install x11vnc and confirm with y both times (similar as above)
  9. add line screen -dmS vnc x11vnc -forever -passwd YOURPASSWORD -shared to rc.local using command sudo nano /etc/rc.local (obviously change the password you want to use - note: using plain text password is NOT secure but I don’t plan on exposing the robot to external networks). Also worth noting, insert the line before line exit 0 line so it actually executes :wink:
  10. save file (ctrl+x, y, enter)
  11. reboot robot and try to connect, my connection worked just fine with Real VNC viewer (edit connection and set picture quality as High in Options tab) and with bVNC Pro from my Android phone

That’s about it :slight_smile:

P.S.
Display is running with a resolution of 1280x800 pixels

Edit:
I’m dumb and for some reason didn’t see last reply above mine… Well, hi11’s solution is better as it doesn’t store password as plain text

2 Likes

Trying this method and I get this after apt-get update

W: GPG error: http://archive.debian.org jessie Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1587841717

What is the exact path to add in sources? Heres the original file paths.

EDIT nevermind, it was a few comments up just unhashing the existing sources.

Thank you so much i got it working!

I’ve followed your steps but the robot denies de connection. do you know why? Thanks!!

Have you solved this problem? i maneged to install in the controller but RealVNC viewer it is not finding my robot

This worked for me! I used RealVNC.
Despite the readme saying there is no reboot need to be made on the robot, I did need to do a reboot in order to get it working.