Dashboard Server and URSim

I’m trying to perform Dashboard Communications with URSim running under Windows VMware.

I’m using a packet sender program and get a message that it cannot connect.

I’m guessing it has something to do with the VMware network setup or the firewall on the windows machine.

Anyone successfully connected to URSim running on Windows using the dashboard communication method ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,
Mark

Hi,
The first question is that, are you trying to connect from the same Windows machine, or from another computer?
If your virtual machine has Host-Only network or NAT, you won’t be able to access the simulator from another computer without additional tricks.
If your packet sender program is on the same Windows machine, check that you use the correct IP address. Can you PING the virtual machine?

My preference would be to access the virtual machine from another computer.

The VM network settings are currently setup as NAT (sharing the host’s IP address). I can communicate with the simulator via XMLRPC with no problems.

I’m open to attaching a second Ethernet connection via a USB device if that would make things easier.

Thanks,
Mark

According to my former experiences with NAT in virtual machine, you need to add port forwarding in order to access the virtual machine from another computer.
Have you tried forwarding the TCP port 29999 to your host machine as described below?

https://www.universal-robots.com/how-tos-and-faqs/how-to/ur-how-tos/dashboard-server-cb-series-port-29999-15690/

You can also try bridged network, so your virtual machine becomes part of the same network as your host machine.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help. I was able to get it working with the Bridged connection in VMWare.

Mark