Cognex Communication URCap

Hello,

I am interested in developing a more streamlined process to set-up a Cognex to UR vision system. We have developed a camera calibration procedure and .urp file to communicate between the robot and camera.

I am wondering if anyone has developed a functional Cap to bring in camera data using program nodes rather than script code.

Any information on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bryant Henderson

I did something like that for SICK camera, because SICK URCap lacked the functionality that I would like to use.

It works like this: program makes xmlrpc call to python script running as daemon, python script opens socket for communication to camera to send and receive data.

I didn’t do that in Program Node, but a function you call in the script, but it should not be really hard. There are a lot of examples and UR support is really nice to answer your questions. :wink:

Hi,

a Cognex camera system have also Modbus TCP, so you can Transfer the Data to the UR over this way and you must not programming a socket communication.

greetings Jan

1 Like

Thanks guys! Cognex has communicated that they are in the process of developing a functional cap, and hopefully it will be released within the next 2 months.

-Bryant

Hi there, I am working currently with a Cognex 7802. I was able to comunicate and send data from the camera to the robot via Modbus, for example send the score of a cell to the robot and get that score in the robot, holding register 7005.
My problem is that I don´t know why I am not able to do the same the other way around.

I´d like to write a register of the camera by the robot and get the score in my in-sight spreedsheet. I was trying with formatinputbuffer, Readbufferuserdata and Getbufferdata but the Robot LED ist always going yellow and showing the E1 ILLEGAL FUNCTION. Maybe you´ve already tried it and can help me.

Every feedback will be aprecciated