Remote triggering and scanning with Cognex Datamax barcode scaner to UR E-series Robot

I have a project where I need to have a line of code in the UR program trigger a Cognex Dataman barcode reader and get feed back if the scan was successful. Has anyone tried this before?

If so what communication protocols did you use, and how did you connect the camera to the robot?

Hi @murb,

I have worked with Cognex (Vision Systems) and UR, and the common way to communicate is through ethernet with a TCP/IP socket or Modbus.

But if you just need to send a trigger signal and receive an OK bit you may use digital I/O directly and it would be easier to configure.

It depends on which Dataman model you are using you may not have native ethernet communication or digital I/O, so if you can choose the model I would recommend going for a DM260 or higher.

Also there is a functionality in E-Series robots that allow serial comm through analog inputs but you have to program an URCap in order to make it work and that is out of my knowledge.

Hi there, I am working currently with a Cognex 7802. I was able to comunicate and send data from the camera to the robot via Modbus, for example send the score of a cell to the robot and get that score in the robot, holding register 7005.
My problem is that I don´t know why I am not able to do the same the other way around.

I´d like to write a register of the camera by the robot and get the score in my in-sight spreedsheet. I was trying with formatinputbuffer, Readbufferuserdata and Getbufferdata but the Robot LED ist always going yellow and showing the E1 ILLEGAL FUNCTION. Maybe you´ve already tried it and can help me.

Any feedback will be aprecciated