Using Robotiq 2F 140 Gripper with URSim

Hi,

i would like to use the Robotiq 2F-140 Gripper for educational purposes inside URSim but i’m facing communication issues. When i try to activate the gripper in the Robot Program
i get a connection timeout message:

0004d21h18m35.686s RTMachine Not able to open socket gripper_conn_socket to host: 127.0.0.1 at port: 63352 : Connection timed out

what i’ve tried so far is changing my hostname to ‘ursim’ to ensure that any daemon processes of the robotiq urcap work properly and tried to activate the usb serial device with

sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0403 product = 0x6015

where 0403 and 6015 are the manufacturer and product id of the USB Serial adapter which comes with the gripper which i think is this one.

I also tried to install the driver but still… i can’t communicate with the gripper.

any ideas what i’ve missing? :confused:

1 Like

Hi Michael,

Just to be sure. Are your goal to use the URSim together with a physical Robotiq 2F-140 Gripper?

From the error message:

0004d21h18m35.686s RTMachine Not able to open socket gripper_conn_socket to host: 127.0.0.1 at port: 63352 : Connection timed out
Blockquote

I would assume that the daemon is not running probably. Of course the root cause could still be the lack of hardware connection…
Hopefully a Robotiq developer can assist you.

I solved this using the ROS robotiq package. I think the main reason is that URSim blocks any virtual Serial Connections like the modbus ttyUSB Interface that is needed.

Hi there,

I believe the issue is that the Gripper driver has to be started manually. Here is a procedure to do so.

Hope this helps

1 Like