Start a URscript from remote PC via Ethernet

Dear,

It’s probably a bit of a newbie question, but I couldn’t find a quick solution. I need to start / stop an URScript remotely from another PC. This PC will then communicate trough sockets once the script has been started.

I know I can load a script at robot boot-up and use external switches to start / stop, but I don’t want to fitt any relais, I just want to use the existing TCP/IP possibilities.

Note: the script is already on the robot, I don’t need to download it first…

Any pointers / suggestions welcomed.

Hi,

i did not try this yet but i think you can do sth like

1. ssh to the robot
  2. try to Execute the script with sending it to the local realtime interface:
    cat yourProgram.script | nc localhost 30003

Maybe this breaks the single point of control rule but i would give it a try…

If you though have a .urp of your script available, you can simply use the dashboard server
…or you can load your script file into a script program node and save it as a urp program.

@m.birkholz

Thanks for your answer, but I’m looking for something more in the line of connecting to port 30003 and then send “Start” or “Stop” analogous to the start button / external input.

Ideally, I’d like something like: run_script(“name_of_script”,“ur_robot_access_password”)

Is such a thing possible?

you can use the dashboard server, port 29999. I have been successful in starting,stopping, loading, playing programs using this interface. Here is a link to documentation:
https://www.universal-robots.com/articles/ur/dashboard-server-cb-series-port-29999/

in the link I gave, I got an error downloading the pdf with the list of commands. This one works.

@sstiller,

Thank you, this works fine. I also managed to implement the protocol into my application, so I don’t need SocketTest or similar anymore.

Max