Profinet Connection and Dashborad Server

Hi,
we are currently developing an Application with the UR3e and a Beckhoff Soft-PLC.
We are developing our own Interface via the PLC. Communication via Profinet is working well, but we are now at a point where we want to be able to handle errors, specifically the error from calculating the inverse_kin of a given point.
In other threads I’ve read, the Dashboard server can be used to handle errors.

Is it possible to access the Dashboard server while the Robot is communicating via Profinet over the same Ethernet connection?

Cheers
Friedrich

Hi @fracz

yes you can use both at the same time.

I have connected a Siemens PLC to the UR10e via Profinet and i use the Dashboard Communication (OUC) at the same time.
It´s working, even tho the communication via Dashboard Server is a bit “tricky”.

Greetings from Luxembourg!

1 Like

It is also possible to connect to dashboard server while connecting Ethernet/IP or RTDE.

Hey Friedrichs,

I just found your post here in the forum and read that you are using a soft PLC from Beckhoff.
I’m doing just the same but face quite some issues especially with the Profinet connection. My URs (I have two in use, CB3 Series), are often using profinet connection. Did you encouter the same issue and if so, did you find a solution, that you might could share with me.

Thank you in advance
Leon

Oh and it would also interest me, how you implemented the dashboard server into twincat. I’m quite a newbee with PLC and robot programming :slight_smile:

Hi @kadams ,

I’m working together with Friedrich on this project. You mentioned that the communication with the Dashboard server is not that easy. Have you ever encountered, that the server seems unreachable? We can’t even connect to it via a standard python socket client, the errormessage says something about the OSError: [WinError10051].
I already googled it without any helpful results.

Thank you in advance.

Greetings from Koblenz!

Continuing the discussion from Profinet Connection and Dashborad Server:

Hi @leon.goelz ,

I’m working together with @fracz on the project and I was responsible for the profinet connection. We also encountered a couple of difficulties with this. If you can describe your issues in more detail I might be able to help you.

Best regards,
Philipp

Hi @phmueller2

Aus Koblenz? Na dann kann ich auch in deutsch antworten.

Problematisch wurde das Thema “Dashboard Server” in Bezug auf die Syntax. Die Befehle von der SPS aus müssten in einem speziellen Format geschrieben werden. Ein String mit “play” konnte der Roboter nicht verstehen. Man muss dann ‘$Lplay$L’ senden, damit der Roboter das versteht.

Steht dein Roboter in der Betriebsart “Fernsteuerung”? Nur dann kannst du den Dashboard Server auch nutzen.

Wenn der Roboter auf “Fernsteuerung” steht und du die Verbindung aufgebaut hast ist alles gut.
Wenn jedoch jemand den Roboter nun von “Fernsteuerung” auf “Lokal” stellt, kann ich von meiner PLC aus nichts mehr senden.
Daten können erst wieder gesendet werden, wenn ich die Verbindung von meiner PLC zum Robi “deaktiviere” und erneut aufbaue. Erst dann kann man den Dashboard Server wieder erreichen.

Hast du den korrekten “Port” ausgewählt?
Meine Verbindung zwischen PLC und Dashboard Server vom UR läuft über den Port 29999.

Grüße aus Luxembourg!

Hi @kadams

Danke für die Rückmeldung. Das hat schonmal ein paar der Fragezeichen behoben. Wir werden mal sehen, ob wir die Verbindung noch irgendwie aufgebaut bekommen. Aktuell erkennt unser Rechner scheinbar nicht, dass er mit einem anderen Gerät in einem Netzwerk ist.

Ja ich hab sowohl den Port 29999, als auch 30001 und 30013 getestet. Danach habe ich über arp -a in der Konsole mal geschaut, ob der UR überhaupt erkannt wird. Dem scheint nicht so zu sein.

Beste Grüße,

Philipp

Moin @phmueller2

Hast du mal das Tool “Socket Test” geladen?

Damit hatte ich zuerst überprüft ob prinzipiell die Verbindung zwischen meinem PC und dem UR steht:

https://www.universal-robots.com/articles/ur/dashboard-server-e-series-port-29999/

Das “Programm” ging bei mir direkt ohne Probleme.
Versuch mal ob du damit eine Verbindung aufbauen kannst, dann weißt du ja zumindest einmal das dein PC physikalisch mit dem Robi verbunden ist und kommunizieren kann.

Gruß
Kevin