Polyscope UR cap export?

Hello Forum :slight_smile:

We have a UR10 with a welding UR Cap installed , I do not have the source file and am trying to solve an issue with the welder stopping and would like to look within the UR Cap, is there any way I can retrieve this file so that I can have a look at it on my laptop ?

Cheers,

Thankyou very much for any help

Jeremy

1 Like

I believe you CAN, but I wouldn’t advise it. CAPs are another company’s intellectual property, and going in and modifying it yourself probably isn’t the best move. You should get in contact with the software provider and explain your problem and have them provide you an updated CAP. I’ve worked with a few welding CAPs myself, do you mind sharing whose you’re using?

Thanks Eric, I appreciate you commenting :slight_smile:

We are using Abcor Binzel , it works quite well however there is an issue when the arc will not ignite ( I understand there a few different things I can do to help avoid this physically happening ), when this happens the program halts and cannot be resumed,

I currently have a maintenance routine for cleaning the nozzle that is timed of the time welding since the last cleaning where the robot arm will extend then can be put into freedrive mode and cleaned and then when confirmed on the teach pendant the robot will resume the program.

I would like to implement a similar cleaning option when the arc does not ignite so the robot can resume, we have some slight variance in our parts so occasionally due to different factors the error occurs where the arc does not ignite .

What I would like to get from the CAP is to find the variable that halts the program and causes the popup and change it to trigger my cleaning program,

I have reached out to Binzel several times but havent heard back unfortunately,

And advice would be greatly appreciated,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I am in your same situation and would also love to hear if anyone has a solution for exporting URCaps currently installed.
I have found this file from UR that makes a backup of all the programs installed on Polyscope. Perhaps there can be a way to also backup the installed URCaps. I have not had any fortune yet, but I am relatively new to URCaps, and probably am looking at the wrong place.

Let’s hope to hear a solution soon :slight_smile:

Best,
Michele.

There likely isn’t any variable that’s controlling this. It’s most likely just the direct result of the signal from the welder. Robot says turn on, welder doesn’t verify it came on within a certain timeframe, halt. You’d be wanting to change the “halt” instruction to instead run some entire subroutine. Aside from the possible copyright infringement, there’s no guarantee that making this change wouldn’t also break something else in the software. Or that you’d even be able to access it, if they implemented some form of obfuscation.

This wouldn’t really be feasible for Binzel to offer, since it would be unique for you, and maintaining multiple versions of software is a nightmare.

If you’re just looking for a means to backup the CAPs you have installed, as opposed to modifying them, you can navigate to the CAPs folder and copy them to a flashdrive. Just stick a flashdrive in, then hook a keyboard to the controller. Hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 to access the terminal. username is “root” and the password is “easybot”

Then you can type “cd .urcaps/” and hit enter to go to the directory housing the urcaps. From here you can type “ls -a” to see a full list of all the installed CAPs, and do a “cp [filename] programs/usbdisk/[yourfolder]” to copy them. You may have to get a bit familiar with linux and command line operation in general. Otherwise I think if you do a full system backup you may be able to drill down to a similar directory.

1 Like

Hi Eric.
Thank you a lot for your help! That was exactly what I was looking for.
I was able to modify the previously linked backup-file by changing line 49 and 50 to

mkdir /program/usbdisk/current_backup
cd ~/.urcaps
cp -a ~/.urcaps/. /program/usbdisk/current_backup

Note that the “current_backup” directory will be overwritten every time.

Thankyou very much Eric for your help !
I really appreciate your in depth explanation , and the description on how to back up the URcap

Cheers

Jeremy