MyDeamon example URCap not working with current StarterKit

Hi,

I am running the newest version of the Starterkit (SDK 1.10.0, URSim 5.8.0.10253) on a VirtualBox and I am having trouble getting the MyDeamon example cap to work.
I want to run the python deamon, the rest is commented out, I have also commented out the compile section in the pom.xml file. The deamon does not seem to start and Polyscope always just gives the “Could not set the title in the daemon process” error message.
As per suggestions in this forum I tried to create the folder “/programs” and run the ursim as sudo, but that does not change the situation.
Does anyone face the same issue/found a way to fix it?
Thank you!

I have no problem and the daemon is runnable.
Please check the below.

The permissions are set as in your screenshot and the Deamon starts without problems from the terminal.
Is there any chance to obtain a log of the Deamon process?

I don’t know how to log the daemon process.

The deamon may not be started once run as sudo.
It is not recommemded to start as sudo.

Please re-install ursim and try again.

$ ./install-ursim.sh UR3 (or UR5, UR10)

No success unfortunately. I get a strange error now though

12:53:53.563 ERROR - Problem with installation of bundle {thread: Thread-3 , loggerClass: 
com.ur.polyscope.urcaps.internal.daemonservice.DaemonServiceManager}
java.io.IOException: Could not set executable flag on file /home/ur/ursim/ursim-5.8.0.10253/GUI/felix- 
cache/bundle181/data/com/ur/urcap/examples/mydaemonswing/impl/daemon/-1253659008/run

Could it be connected to the way I build the cap? In my pom.xml I put

<ursim.home>~/ursim/ursim-5.8.0.10253</ursim.home>

and I build with

$ mvn install -P ursim 

Installing it manually after mvn install and putting it into the program folder failed as well though.

I have <ursim.home>/home/ur/ursim/ursim-5.8.0.10253</ursim.home> in pom.xml, can you try this?

I found the issue! It seems that the python setup got messed up somehow which lead to an import error. I have corrected the error and after reinstalling the ursim with

./install.sh

it works now.
I have also realized that logs of the deamon execution can be found under

/ursim/ursim-<version>/service/bundle@<yourcap>/log/log/current 

which was very useful.

Thank you everyone for your input!

Micheal could you elaborate on how you recognized a fault and what you did to fix it - I am having a similar issue.

Hi @warren.james,

the fist thing I would suggest is to have a look into your Deamon log which you can find in
/ursim/ursim-<version>/service/bundle@<yourcap>/log/log/current

From this you should already get a good idea what is going wrong.
Are you using a Python deamon? Do you require a certain Python version or third-party-libraries?

Reinstalling the ursim with ./install.sh certainly also does not hurt, just to be sure…

Thanks for the response micheal.

Unfortunately I don’t have a log appearing at that location.
My service folder is appearing in my home directory for ur but is empty.

I have notice that URSIM_ROOT doesn’t seem to be set - I think this may be why the service folder is in the wrong location

Edit : I do get a symbolic link that leads to a …/log/log/ location when ursim is running but the link disappears when ursim is not running. Also the ‘current’ folder doesn’t exist.

Hello all,

I have the same or similar issue with Starterkit 1.11 fresh out of the box.
I was testing the " mydaemonswing " sample.
Compiling and installing works ok.

First issue appearing in the console of ursim 5 : symlink error.
service folder owner is root. It can be solved doing
~/ursim/ursim-5.9.1.1031110$ sudo chown ur service/

After this, the contribution node is working. The label display correctly the response from daemon.
Log show code 200 of correct anwser
But the Installation node report the error 'Start Daemon failded"

I did not investigate futher to see why it’s not working as I do not see any additional error message.
I wish to develop a daemon. It would be nice to have a first example fully working.
Any idea on solving this last point ?

Hi, would you please check here?

Hi,
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunaly, it didn’t solve the issue.
dirrectory exist correctly.
Python script is ok and working if I execute dirrectly, Both python and c++ have exec permission.

Rerun of install.sh, didn’t help either.

I tried with both python and c++ exec. Both behave the same, daemon is really launched, and program contribution node exchange data with it.
Only the installation node tell that the dameon is not in a “running” state.

Maybe I will try directly on my UR10e when I have time.

Hi @olivier.hollweque

I have seen issues with the execution permissions for the daemon in the felix-cache. That is resulting in the same symptoms that you are having.

In these cases there is no issue on the real robot.

Best regards
Ebbe

Hello

yes indeed. if I start ursim as su, daemon seen as running (but ursim have other problems then).

Ok, As long as it’s working on real robot, it should not be such a blocking issue. Still it’s a shame that simulator is not handling this correctly.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.