Is it possible to enable/disable safety planes in the running program?

Hello everyone,

I’m working on a palletization installation composed of two pallets on each side of an UR10. While the robot is palletizing one pallet, the operator should be able to remove and insert the other pallet. Ideally, when palletizing one pallet, I would like to create a safety plane that would stop the robot from moving to the other pallet for some unknown reason. Due to this situation, is it possible to enable/disable existing safety planes or create/remove existing ones?

I don’t think so. Most of the time I’ve seen people asking to DEFINE safety planes at runtime, which is definitely not possible, as the safety signature would be changing. But what you’re suggesting it just toggling on/off an existing plane. I still don’t think you can, but I think it would make sense to allow this functionality as the outcome of some of the dual-channel configurable inputs. That way you could use an external safety device like light curtains or area scanners and pass that to the robot which could then enable a safety plane.

That’s exactly what we are trying to accomplish with light curtains. Too bad it’s not possible. Thank you for the answer.