Connecting Vacuum Switch to UR5

Hi All,

I would like to connect an old vacuum switch that I found in our workshop to our new UR5. The vacuum switch is an old SMC ZSM1 (ZM122H) vacuum ejector. The switch is controlled with 3 wires, red, white and black.
I would greatly appreciate it if somebody can tell me if its possible for me to use this switch to control vacuum to the suction cup that I fitted to the end of the robot flange.

Thanks in advance
Del.

If you can wire your switch for 110 AC you can use a digital output through a solenoid (try plugging the white and black wires to 110 and see if it works… your wire colors sounds like it can also be 220). We have Vacuum and air eject on our UR10e. We also run remote routers and air blowers all from the robot through digital outputs and solenoids.

Can you provide us with the full model number? Or a picture of the unit? It’s not possible to find any ZM122H on SMC’s website for some reason.

I had the same issues trying to find some data on this device. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Bruce2, ill try that and see how it works.

Bruce2 - Are you sure it’s 110VAC? I can’t find any data saying that it is. :slight_smile:
If it is 110VAC, his solution should work.

Sorry, was out of town for a week. No, I’m not sure about that device specifically…I was only going by the wire colors. Did you try it? The vacuum switch we bought was specifically 110VAC because we installed solenoids triggered by our digital outputs to operate routers, drills and sanders, etc., operating as remote tools. Have you determined if it does work on 110VAC?

BTW here’s a link to the vacuum switch we used which has been working flawlessly for over 2 years.

We ended up using a 1/2" valve with 1/2" coiled hose, as we are running vacuum to the robot head. It seems to be plenty for holding small parts (averaging 6-8") for routing. You should always use as large a vac line as possible. Good luck, hope everything worked out!

Hi Bruce2,

Unfortunately the switch did not work no matter what configuration I tried :(. After some more seraching around our workshop I found a different switch fitted with only red and black wires. After connecting them to the DO, it works a dream.

Thanks again for your suggestions.