Arduino analog wiring to UR5

I have the same confusion as the guy down below but i want to connect an analog signal from the arduino to the UR5.

I found this explanation but im still confused, due to the example just having the sensor

https://www.universal-robots.com/articles/ur/interface-communication/connecting-internal-inputs-and-outputs-io-on-the-robots-controller/

I want to connect a 3 axis accelerometer to the UR5 and make the xyz positions to a variable to send to the waypoint function. How would i do this? Is the arduino necessary?

This is my current arduino setup.

Please help

Some insights here:

• As the documentation says, it’s an ANALOG input. And the sensor used on the example of the documentation must be an ANALOG sensor in order to be connected directly to the robot, and within the range values that the input allows (4-20mA, and/or 0-10V).
  • The accelerometer you are showing in your setup uses SDA and SCL inputs, so that is I2C communication, not an analog input.

So no, you cannot connect directly that sensor to your robot. You can use your Arduino in between:

1. Arduino reads the sensor and process it.
  2. The variable result is sent from Arduino to the robot, either through Ethernet or Serial.
  3. If using Ethernet, you can make the UR connect to Arduino directly in a URScript, if using Serial you would need a URCap to open the serial port and access it.

I would change the Arduino UNO for another Arduino that has an Ethernet port integrated.

Thanks

I understand what youre saying but i dont have any other arduinos. If its possible to connect arduino to UR is this how. A0 to AI and GND to AG
arduni pin out v2

And i believe the arduino uno has a ethernet port. Image below. If im wrong, which arduinos has ethernet port
eth por ar

Thanks once again

• No, that won’t work, because Arduino UNO analog outputs are PWM signals, where as a UR analog input expects literally an analog value.
  • No, that’s not an Ethernet port, that’s a USB-B connector, mostly for programming the Arduino.

This is gonna be a very wild stab on the dark, but… have you ever programmed an Arduino in real life? I highly recommend you to spend 1-2 weeks on basic Arduino programming (some free courses here and here), because your last 2 questions show a very big lack of electronic fundamentals.

the datasheet says that analog is in analog value, not pwm. i have worked with arduino but only with arduino components like lcd. its been a while since ive used arduino or anything like it, ive been working with automation for the last year

aian_0416

i understand that it was usb and not ethernet, do you know of any arduinos with ethernet port, i wasnt able to find any

if i am correct will my previous guess work, with A0 to AI and GND to AG

@mcqueendabozyboi to my knowledge arduino uses PWM signals to create analog signals. i dont know if the UR5e has any problem with that but if that is the case you could connect a resistor and a capacitor in series and connect it to ground, that should help against the pwm signal made by the arduino.

You’ll need something called a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) to output a clean analog signal. It can also be done with an RLC circuit and PWM but that will require some calculation. A DAC shield should do the trick for you.

Part of the wonder of Arduino (and UR) is accessibility. It doesn’t take weeks, maybe a couple hours poking at tutorials and examples to get an Arduino doing interesting things. And that knowledge transfers to programming the UR, which is even easier in my opinion.

My suggestion is to hook that arduino up to the UR and start outputting test values. Take a look at what it sees via the I/O page and then go from there. Start playing! You shouldn’t be able to hurt the UR with anything the Arduino can produce.

you are totally right, this works perfectly. trust me i worked with elon musk since 84’

Following site can be the reference for DAC

MCP4725 Digital to Analog Converter Hookup Guide - SparkFun Learn