Relay Wiring to UR10E

I’m a bit confused on how to wire up a relay to my UR-10E. I was inspired by a youtube video but it’s a bit vague as to the wiring. Arduino VS Universal Robots UR5 - YouTube

Would I be able to wire my relay/arduino as shown in the diagram below

belzandriy,

No!
this will cause a shotr circuit when the relay is at NC
The common is correct 24v into the relay but you will need to wire the NO, and NC to Digital inputs (DIO#)
when the relay switches it will pass 24v through the relay and back onto one of the DIO’s

Hope this helps!

The common, with how they have it set up, is going to the Digital Input so it should not cause a short. The two connections would be 24V → DI2 when open and 0V → DI2 when closed.

1 Like

So both wires for the NO and NC go the DI2 pin in my case?

That’s how I interpreted what the creator of the video was doing with his set-up.

So would this work? and not damage the UR?

It should be fine but I believe you could also just leave the Normally closed as disconnected as the input should go low when left floating. You would only need two wires then.

Do you have any idea how this would work with analog signal from the arduino?

Will this setup work, to recive and send signals from UR5e to my Arduino??

i know only single channel relay is enough.

Please, inform if its right.

Thanks.

I think the setup presented on the Youtube video is a relay connected to 2 voltage dividers and it might have some diode to avoid the shortcut, but I think the wiring despite working is a bad praxis in general.

For exchange I/O with the UR I would use an optocoupler and a DC/DC converter instead of a relay, so the robot and the Arduino voltages get separated.

@mcqueendabozyboi - There’s no simple way to do this. You will need an OPAMP and preferably a DAC to get a true analog signal.

@anirudhgowdat - If the voltage divider makes 5V, then yes. It should work.

I would however get a 24V relay on the Digital Output 3 from the robot instead. Or octocoupler as mentioned by cgs.

Then it’s very simple to connect Digital Output 3 to A+ on the relay and 0V to A-. And then you can wire the Arduino Vin/5V to COM and a digital input to NO. Then it works just like the relay board between the Arduino and UR already there.

1 Like