VNC viewer does not connect sometimes returning 10053 error

I am using RealVNC viewer to remote control the Teach Pendant and it works fine except not all the time. It connects successfully sometimes but most of the times I keep getting the 10053 error. I am always connected to the same Wi-Fi so I cannot figure out why VNC viewer cannot get through every time. I tried pinging from command prompt to robot’s IP and confirmed that there is a successful connection (I can even use the Log Viewer). And when I connect from VNC viewer it does ask for the robot’s password and as soon as I enter it and click OK I get this below error.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I’ve seen this a lot of the connection to the x11vnc server isn’t terminated properly.

If you’ve used that vnc install that’s on the forums, you can restart the server by logging in over ssh and running this:

/etc/init.d/x11vnc stop
/etc/init.d/x11vnc start

For a permanent fix, x11vnc has some arguments you can use when starting the server to allow multiple connections etc.

I believe -shared and -forever are applicable.

2 Likes

I just experienced the same error out of the blue. I had been connected and suddenly the connection drops. I tried “x11vnc stop” and “x11vnc start” but that didn’t help.

I already have the -forever argument added. Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks all!

FYI, After about 10 minutes the connection went through again and I could connect without rebooting the UR.

The other thing I could mention is that the USB stick VNC package floating around uses old .deb packages for the CB series Debian OS version. We updated our installer years ago with the proper apt sources.list and package install for Debian Jessie (e-series).

This has basically been our experience with the TightVNC app. We’ll occasionally have issues where multiple robots will struggle to maintain connections, then go for a long time with no issues.
Sometimes it requires going to the pendant and doing almost anything - switch tabs, for example, to wake it up.
We also seem to have more problems with the robots in our lab next to the office than with the robots out in production.
I tend to think something on our network makes it lose its connection.