Remote control of UR

Which software or product do you recommend/use for remote control and remote assitance of E-series.
Thanks!

VNC Viewer will be used for remote control and assistance for UR CB3 & E-series.

You’ll have to set up VNC on the controller, as well. You can search for x11vnc here on the forum for a lot more threads about this exact subject. :slight_smile:

I use Underauromation SDK for that, and it works pretty well so far.

I may be a voice out of the chorus, but I am sincerely surprised by the superficiality used to address this topic.

Controlling the robot remotely is a rather delicate issue for safety purposes, specific functions for local/remote control have been developed on the polyscope and on the controller which follow the safety directives and regulations.

Installing VNC on the controller breaks all these security mechanisms.

A simple scenario:

Remote control of the robot via dedicated robot remote control functions

Remote control is enabled, the local user near the robot is alerted that someone else is controlling the robot. The remote operator moves the robot. The local operator sees that something is going wrong, so at any moment he kicks the remote user out (he goes back to local control mode) and restores the situation in manual and safe mode.

This is how remote control is regulated by safety standards: the local person has superior access rights and must be able to regain exclusive control of the machine at any time.

Remote control via VNC

Remote control is NOT enabled, the remote user controls the robot as if it were a local user via VNC. The local user has no evidence that anyone else is controlling the robot. The remote user moves the robot. The local operator sees that something is going wrong, tries to intervene, but can do nothing to stop the remote user who has the same access rights as him via VNC. The local user is in danger because he can be hit by the robot without being able to do anything to avoid it.

Conclusions
Installing VNC on the robot has the same effect as tampering with a barrier, laser scanner or any other safety device. From a legal point of view, installing VNC can invalidate any safety certification that has been made on the machine following a risk assessment.

Everything is fine and everyone is happy… until somebody gets hurt.

1 Like