Ursim and end effectors

Is there any way to attach an end effector using Ursim? Or is there a way to simulate an end effector? The reason I am asking is I have a large end effector that hits the wrist 2 motor. The only way I can understand area of operation is by attaching the end effector and testing different movements. It would be much easier to using ursim.

Another option would be a moveable ur5 in solidworks. I can open the CAD drawing in solidworks which as been great for designing end effectors but the model is static and doesn’t move.

Thanks,

checkout “tool position” in the safety settings:

the ursim (and the real robot) will hit a protective stop if it determines that there is risk of “clamping” between the arm and the tool radius during motion:

you can also download the step file from UR, open in solidworks and apply coincident and concentric mates to the various joints and arm segments to make a movable model in solidworks.

NOTE: without the robot cell programming add-on from solidworks, the motion is clunky at best. obviously solidworks has no knowledge of kinematics, so you cant exactly drag the TCP around and get appropriate motion. Its a bit tedious, but the way i move the ur in solidworks is by applying a temporary fix/ground to the joints i dont want to move. move the joint i want to move, then remove the temp fix/ground

RoboDk (free version) is a really great software for robot studies like that. Paid version lets you generate robot paths and export direct to robot.

Venition.io has a really powerful online design tool that I have used to do a quick test reach / interference check of a concept. it lets you upload your eoat STEP and pair it to the robot.

1 Like