Specifications required for adding a new push button as a digital input

Hello,
I work in an HRI research lab and my lab recently purchased a ur5e. I want to add an external push button at a digital input node so that I can use it where the user can perform a collaborative task by completing his task, then push the button to activate the cobot to perform its task and vice versa. It is programmed to use the high and low conditions of the push button to detect when the cobot needs to activate.

I have read the user manual regarding the specifications and it highlights the digital input requires a current of (2 to 15 ma) and a voltage of (-3 to 30 V). The majority of the commercially available push buttons are ≥5 amps. Electrical engineering isn’t my strongest suit and the internet has given me mixed results. And I don’t want to risk any damage to the cobot.

Is it okay to use a higher amp-rated switch that has a similar voltage rating to the digital input?

Hi hiram.dule21, Welcome to the UR Comunity.

Yes it’s absolutly fine to use a switch that is rated above.
As it’s is only a switch and not supplying its own power, it purely means it can handle a higher current.
The power is supplied from the Robot and just passes through the switch to complete the circuit.

1 Like