Palletizing - Pick from entire column stack before moving onto next pocket

Hi,

I have an application where I need to pick from a part tray with the below configuration:

Part tray consists of a 3x5 pocket array with parts stacked 5 layers high. I need to pick from an entire stack before moving onto the next pocket/stack, but I believe the palletizing wizard goes layer by layer. Is this possible using the palletzing wizard? I believe there may be a messy way to constantly change Pallet_cnt variables to force things, but want to avoid this. Any input? Would it be easier to create my own grid routine?

Just turn your pallet template on its side so it’s lying down basically. :slight_smile:

Yeah, only issue in this case is the layers would vary on occasion, which means you have to adjust corner items each time. Thinking script route creates flexibility down the line. More upfront development but makes adjustments down the line easier. Thanks efn! :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, that’s another issue. :slight_smile: It’s not too difficult to set up a variable palletizing (without the template), if you have some experience with programming.

I wouldn’t use script for that but simply the built-in nodes and variable management.

How does the robot know which stack has which height? if you find out by touching the uppermost item I would consider a Palettizing assistent just for the horizontal orientation, and the stack part with an inner loop in the “At each item” section.

As efn proposed, no need to script, you can solve it with program nodes.

I would personally go with a bit of a hybrid approach. I love using URscript and functions for performing the math, offsets, and variable manipulation while leaving built-in Polyscope nodes to do the point programming.

In the case of Palletizing, all you really have to do is shift a Feature around. I like doing that part within URscript. Then as long as all your taught waypoints are taught against that Feature, all your pick/place actions will shift around automatically.