For a month or so I was trying to operate the OnRobot RG2 gripper using URScript via python.
The issue I was faced with was that the command which is used to open/ close the gripper works only if it is sent from a primary program coded on the teaching pendant. It doesn’t work if sent via a TCP/IP connection between robot and PC.
For those of you who want to operate remotely via PC only here is the solution that we found:
- Use WebLogic which is a platform provided with the Onrobot (log into a compute box via web browser)
- You can create a program that will run continuously and is programmed on the compute box
- In order to activate the program that encoded on the compute box, one has to change the input of the compute box value to True/ False
- In order to do that, connect the input of the compute box to the output of the robot which can be easily changed using URScript ex. s.send
- As long as the program on the compute box is running, whenever the value of the output will change the state of the gripper will change as well
Hope it helps to some of you