Motherboard battery removed, can't boot up anymore

help!
I can power up with stuck-in logo, and suddenly shutdown after a few second

Hello Weinanli,

By removing the battery, you have reset the BIOS and all the settings regarding boot etc are gone.

Which robot do you have? Afaik, it is possible to update the BIOS of the e-series. I’m not so sure about CB2/3. :slight_smile:
Replacing the motherboard will solve the issue.

Hi efn,

Yes, I supposed I have reset the BIOS, but I really can’t find any bios to be downloaded on UR web. I am using UR 10 and UR 5, their are CB3.

I can send you the BIOS, if your robots are CB3.1 (>2015 and with a USB as system memory) and not CB3.0 (<2015 and with a CF card as system memory).

I do not have the BIOS for older models, I’m afraid. :slight_smile: In this case you will have to buy a new motherboard for the robots.

Hi efn,
appreaciated, I think my one is just 2015, not sure it’s 3 or 3.1, but the robot flash drive is CF card. it may be 3.0?

can this 3.0 install 3.1? or the official UR, they may have.

If it is with CF card, it’s CB3.0. Official UR does not have CB3.0 BIOS anymore, I’m afraid. At least not when I asked last time.
BIOS for CB3.1 does not work with CB3.0.

You can try to access the BIOS yourself and edit it to get it to work. Put USB keyboard on the controller and try to find the BIOS hotkey to boot into it. I have not tried this myself. :slight_smile:

Hi bro,

May I have you contact information, appreaciated if you can assist me.

I am wondering how you get the CB3.1 BIOS, did you download it from the working CB3.1 motherboard?

How should I do if I have the BIOS in my USB drive, I just plug into motherboard and how to access it?

appreciate if you can help me out.

You can write me a mail at efn@bila.dk, if you need something. :slight_smile:

I was sent the BIOS for CB3.1 by UR Tech Support on request. I don’t know if you can download BIOS from a motherboard.
I don’t know how to transfer from USB to motherboard, either. I guess you need some sort of installer, which runs automatically on boot.

Hello everyon.

We experience the very same issue described here with a UR5 CB3.0:
On power on the display shows the UR logo (independent of whether it’s connected to the motherboard via DVI), and both LAN interfaces blink for a few seconds before the whole system shuts down again.
No output is ever sent to the DVI port and there does not seem to be a way to access the bios.
It is possible we had a minor power outage recently and of course the battery went bad after 8 years.

Did you solve your issue @efn?

I have not done it myself, but I have read other people on this forum changing the BIOS settings manually (after replacing the battery of course) and thus making it work again.
The alternative is to replace the motherboard with a CB3.1. It’s not much work and not too expensive. :slight_smile:

EDIT: I have not been able to find the earlier threads about the subject sadly.

We shipped the controller now, got the motherboard replaced and everything works again.
I believe we did not have any other option and the motherboard simply died after 8 years (that is still way too early, but yeah, it happens). The only thing we did not try was to reset the BIOS through closing contacts on the board directly, not sure if that is possible with the board they used.
Getting the CB3.1 upgrade is definitely the way to go.

We are having a very similar issue at the moment. Our robot (2014 UR5) randomly stopped working a few months ago. After reading this thread my guess is our battery on the board also gave out after 9 or so years. When you press the power button on the teach pendant it will begin to boot up and hold the “UNIVERSAL ROBOTS” logo for about 13 seconds before shutting itself down. We tried reflashing the CF card with no luck. Our next step is upgrading the the 3.1 motherboard and I am hoping that will fix our issue. I will try to check back in when we get it installed.

A 3.1 motherboard should fix it, yeah. :slight_smile: If it doesn’t, then maybe check the 12V power supply.

Hello everyone,
I am facing something similar - I press the power button on the teach pendant and it shows the logo then turns off. Our model is UR5/CB 3.0. I took the pendant apart (see images), there was no battery installed -I guess it is 3.0 version, that’s why. What should I do to fix this issue since I cannot replace the battery in this case?

The battery is placed on the motherboard inside the control box. :slight_smile:
You are very likely seeing the same issues. You’ll have to either replace the battery and setup the bios, or replace the motherboard with a 3.1 model.

Oh I see! Thank you so much! this is the control box I presume?

That’s right. :slight_smile: The motherboard is on the right side behind an aluminium panel.

I replaced the battery - how should I proceed to setup the BIOS?

I only know of the manual for CB2, but you can give it a try. :slight_smile:

https://forum.universal-robots.com/uploads/short-url/yGyv0osV4nsxl81Sx2xZ0JQtrhA.pdf

1 Like

Hey Guys,

I’m a little late on this topic, but the 2.0MB and 3.0 MB are the same,

The document you attached will work for both, you just need make sure to double check the battery connector polarity (when I order some, 1 time out of 2, I need to swap the cable position in the connector).

Also, you have to make sure to reassign [3F2] as the port for the touch (it’s not really clear in the document). As well as removing your screwdriver as soon as you hear the BIP (on some MB I found that there’s no BIP, but a quiet “click” that sound like a small relay that switch).

2.1 and 3.1 are a little bit more tricky.

Thanks,