Getting Started with Injection Molding (IMMI, Euromap, SPI)

The IMMI “Injection Molding Machine Interface” is a peripheral device sold by Universal Robots to enable direct communication and control of IMMs “Injection Molding Machines”. The intention of the device is to allow a Universal Robot to control the sequence of operation of an IMM during full automatic production. It is a standardized communication protocol that IMM manufacturers follow, utilizing discrete I/O, with a dedicated bulkhead connection. The benefits of using the IMMI include direct control of mold movements (ejectors, cores, mold open/close), monitoring rejects from the IMM, and integrating safety devices between IMM and robot.

This forum is in reference to INTERFACING TO INJECTION MOLDING MACHINES IMMI

Universal Robots supports the following IMM communication standard protocols:

Euromap 67: The European Plastics and Rubber Machinery group standardized the IO pinout for extractor devices. All major IMM manufacturers adhere to these standards. The standard is available for free from their website: https://www.euromap.org/media/recommendations/67/2015/EU%2067_Ver_1.11_May2015.pdf

SPI AN 146: Society of the Plastics Industry (since rebranded Plastics Industry Association) is the USA version of the Euromap 67. It is a copy of the free of charge Euromap 67 recommendation with a few notes added. SPI AN-146 is not free of charge.

Other versions of Euromap exist, most pertinent to robot extractors is Euromap 12 (SPI AN 116 is the USA version)

It is crucial to understand which version of Euromap is installed on an IMM prior to attempting to integrate the IMMI. Universal Robots supports Euromap 67.

Converting from IMM Euromap 12 to robot Euromap 67 is possible, however standard converters typically convert Euromap 67 IMM down to Euromap 12 robot. The main reason for the difficulty is Euromap 67 utilizes dual channel safety for emergency stop and safety devices of the IMM, where Euromap 12 uses single channel for both.

To successfully adapt a Euromap 12 IMM to a Euromap 67 robot, a few options are available:

• Upgrade the IMM from Euromap 12 to Euromap 67 by changing out the bulkhead connections. This requires a thorough understanding of both protocols and is reserved for experienced personnel.
  • Contact the OEM of the IMM and have it serviced to upgrade the protocol. Newer IMMs use printed circuit boards to control the Euromap interface, so rewiring discrete IO of the bulkhead connector may not be possible.
  • A custom adapter needs to be constructed. Wiring diagrams are included in the paid document SPI AN 146

Part numbers for e-series
106900 IMMI Option includes everything needed to integrate to a Euromap 67 IMM - IMMI module, robot jumper plug, 6m Euromap 67 cable, and ribbon cable to connect IMMI to the robot’s controller
106910 IMMI Module and robot jumper only

106920 IMMI cable only

FAQ:
I only need the robot to pull a part out of the mold, why do I need all the extra functionality of the IMMI?
The IMMI enables the robot to take full control of the IMM’'s sequence of operation. It utilizes redundant safety via dual channels for emergency stop and safety devices of the IMM defined by Euromap. Bypassing the standard communication protocol for IMMs may lead to having two simultaneous points of control of the IMM which can be an extreme hazard.

Can more than one IMMI be used to control an IMM?
No, IMMs are configured so that only one extractor device (robot) is in control of mold movements. You only need one IMMI to enable this functionality. Additional robots can be integrated together via other fieldbus protocols.

The robot goes into Safeguard Stop every time I open the IMM door. How do I prevent this?
Euromap standards indicate all automatic movement of equipment - robot and IMM - are disabled when safety doors of the IMM are opened.

Can I run production in semi-automatic while still using the IMMI?
The IMMI is intended for full automatic production of the IMM. Semi-automatic is interrupted by opening and closing the operator door of the IMM, so inherently this will cause the robot to go into Safeguard Stop. It should not be the intention of utilizing semi-automatic mode to automate an IMM.

Inside of Installation settings → Hardware there is the dropdown menu with Euromap 67 and SPI AN 146, how is it determined which to select?
It does not matter which option is selected, both Euromap 67 and SPI AN 146 functionally behave the same. The only difference in PolyScope are the labels of the signals. It is not recommended however to switch between Euromap 67 and SPI AN 146 after programs have been established as it will break these nodes and require adjustments. PolyScope will not fix these labels automatically.

I have a Euromap 12 IMM that I want to integrate with the IMMI, how to I accomplish this?
A custom adapter must be constructed. Off the shelf adapters will vary in their wiring and functionality, so it is best to thoroughly understand Euromap 12 and 67 before choosing an adapter. SPI AN 146 is a paid document similar to Euromap 67, however it contains wiring diagrams for constructing an SPI AN 116 IMM to SPI AN 146 robot adapter. This involves using safety relays for the emergency stop and device safety channels.

How do I distinguish what version of Euromap is installed on an IMM?
Reference the owner’s manual of the IMM. Or locate the jumper/dummy plug attached to the IMM and unplug it to reveal the connections. You physically have to disconnect the jumper to look at the configurations – Euromap 12 and Euromap 67 are indistinguishable from looking at the outer bulkhead housing. Euromap 12 has 32 total connections and uses 2 rows of pins/sockets per side. Euromap 67 has 50 total connections (not all are used) and has 3 rows of pins/sockets per side.

EUROMAP 12 to EUROMAP 67 conversion
To interface an IMM with EUROMAP 12 interface an E12 - E67 adaptor must be used. Several
adaptors is available on the marked from different manufacturers. Unfortunately most adaptors are
constructed for specific robots or IMMs assuming specific designs choices. This means that some
adaptors will not connect the UR robot and your IMM correctly. It is recommended to read both the
EUROMAP 12 and EUROMAP 67 standard whenever using or constructing an adaptor.
A list with common errors is shown below:

1. Do you measure 24V between A9 and C9?
    • The IMM must supply 24V to enable the I/O signals.
    • If the robot and the IMM has common minus/0V then the robot 24V can be used by
    connecting A9 to ZA9 and C9 to ZC9. IMM 24V is often present at EUROMAP 12 pin 32.
  2. Is the adaptor switching both robot emergency channels and both robot safety devices
    channels?
    • This is typically accomplished using 4 relays.