Getting into manual mode

Hi, we have a UR3e and currently involved setting it up with light curtains. I have successfully connected the light curtain and can get into safeguard stop when the beam in broken etc. However, I have a problem the same as this post:

Cannot get into manual mode - Technical Questions - Universal Robots Forum (universal-robots.com)

Basically, I can not enter into manual mode. I get the following message on the teach pendant:

“Unable to change operational mode. It is currently controlled by the operational mode safety input.”

It would be great to know how I get out of safety input mode.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I believe you will have to wire up a 2 contact switch to ‘bypass’ the light curtain inputs.

Hi @rp.beveridge,

In essence, we have 3 (exclusive) ways to change between 2 Operational Modes, Manual or Automatic, cf. ISO 10218-1, 5.7.1.

The methods are:

1. A Configurable Safety Input
  2. The Dashboard Server
  3. Operational Mode Password

In your case, I’m guessing that a Configurable Safety Input has been set up to control the Operational Mode, see attached example.

Since the 3 triggers are exclusive, you can only have 1 way of controlling the mode at a time. So if an electrical switch has been set up to do so, then you cannot change it through the Dashboard Server or on the Teach Pendant (with the Operational Mode Password).

I hope it helps! You can read more about the different modes in the chapter “Operational Mode Selection” in the User Manual.

1 Like

Thanks @WattsUp @spbe . That’s some good information. If I am correct in thinking - A switch if wired correctly will essentially allow me to press (effectively bypassing the automatic mode) and then enter into manual mode again meaning I will not get that message.

To clarify - I currently am not able to enter into the installation tab meaning that I can not change any safety settings.

Hi i had same issue as you with “Unable to change operational mode. It is currently controlled by the operational mode safety input.”

I found this article.
Based on the article and since i did not had a 3-position device at my disposal. I took the terminal showed on the picture below (right side terminal) and connected a jumper from 24V to CI6 and another jumper fom 24V to CI7.
billede

When i turned on the controller again i was in manual mode and able to change the installation.

Alternative flash another SD-card with the latest image of PolyScope (5.12.4) and copy the programs over.

Hope it can help you.

Hi @Char. That is great, thanks for your input. I will give that a try.

Worst case scenario is to flash the SD card with image, but hopefully above suggestion will work.

Best,

Ryan.

Hello,

I am using a three position teach pendant and Config_in[0], Config_in[1] are set to “Protective stop for automatic mode”. As I read in the user manual, I can drive the robot freely in manual mode even if the protective stop is active if I use this configuration for the protective stop.

But I can’t move the UR10 freely with this configuration. does anyone have any ideas?

Best regards