Controlling LED strip lights with UR controller

Hi,

I want to install LED strip lights controlled by UR controller to indicate the state of the robot during application running. What would be the best way to achieve this? What are the hardware would I need other than LED strip light? Do I need 12v or 24v LED strip?

Thanks,
Manan.

1 Like

I have connected LED diode to Digital Outputs and it worked OK. On UR Control Box you have 24V Digital Outputs. On the UR Tool you can choose on TeachPendant which voltage you want (12V or 24V). Switching on/off is very simple with URScript. You just have to look out what is the voltage of the LED.

Note that you shouldn’t exceed the maximum output current of 1A for the digital outputs.

are you talking about addressable RGB strips? or basic “on/off/dim” LED strips?

If only turning on/off you might get away with simple digital outputs, if addressable RGB leds you will need some kind of interface to drive the LEDs via their signal inputs (strips like WS2812 or APA102 will need a microcontroller like Arduino or Teensy to send the correct data).

I recently connected RGBW led strip light. (Basic on/off) 24v for back lighting.
I had to switch the LED through a relay.
LED Strip light usually has a common 24v and so you need to switch the 0v (it’s no good just trying to connect the RGBW direct to the Digital outputs.
I used 4 of these relays to switch the 0v https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/1113052/
Wire the Digital output to A1 0v to A2 (Coil) So when you turn the Digital output on and off the relay will close and open
Now connect 0v to a normally open contact an the R,G,B or W to the other side.
finally connect the common (Black on my LED) to 24v

And start that Disco! :rofl::rofl: