Cabinet pass through connector and wiring to easily connect / disconnect the UR5E teach pendant

Dear UR team,

on our machine, the UR5E controller is integrated in a middle of a bigger electrical cabinet. We would like to be able to connect / disconnect the teach pendant on a pass through connector on our big cabinet. Saddly, this is really complicated concidering your IX40 connector (not that common). We cannot find a pass-through IX40 connector. We cannot find a “female / male” prolongation cable. And we are not keen to cut/split the UR5E teach pendant wire, to insert a connector in between.

What would be your proposal ?

Best Regards
Boris Bocquet

1 Like

It is not recommended to extend the cable.It is 5 m as defined as the maximum length by USB 2.0.
It might be possible, but out customers will probably discover unstable or no touch functionality. The same applies for the USB connector in the Teach Pendant.

I think the fastest solution is to make a hole in the bigger cabinet and feed the teach pendant cable through there. I see it is not very convenient. But it will not compromise the functionality.

Dear ebof. Thank you for your reply.
Well we just need some extra 10-20cms inside our cabinet. The problem is that this is difficult to access inside our cabinet. Also, not every employees of the customer have the rights and the key / tools to open the cabinet.

What do you think about the following proposal :
a IX/Rj45 pass throught :

and then a small RJ45/IX40-A cable :

The thing is that the contact 3 and 8 are not connected in the RJ45/IX40-A cable. Will it a be problem ? I guess this cannot damage the controler to test this solution. At best, it works, at worst it is not functionnal but I don’t risk to damage any hardware.

Thanks in advance
Boris Bocquet

Dear ebof,
What do you think about my last proposal ?
At least, can you tell us if contact 3 and 8 are connected in the teach pendant cable ? Because most of the IX cables on the market do not have these contacts available.
Thanks in advance.
Boris Bocquet

If it is the correct pairs that are twisted. Then I would assume that it will work. But I am afraid that our R&D will not promise anything.