Variables file become corrupt when sudden shutdown

Hey there!

In the last year, we have experimented three times the same issue:

It occurs an unexpected shutdown (from the whole factory i.e.) and the .variables file becomes corrupt and then I am not able to start the program.

Our local distributor says that this happens because the UR updates periodically this file, and if the shutdown occurs during the update, the file will become corrupt.

I could assume that this unlikely to happen, but it is the third time in one year. I think that this should not happen.

Is there a solution different from using an UPS?

Could anyone explain to me how this periodical update works?

Thanks in advance,

Just connecting these two threads:

Reviving an old thread because we just ran into this.

How were you able to recover from this?
We had a power glitch this morning, and the default.variables file was corrupted.
I’ve tried multiple times to pull in a previously saved file, but as soon as I boot the robot, the file ends up corrupted again.

I’ve submitted a case to UR, but saw this thread and thought I’d check the collective wisdom of the group.

Hi @dpeva ,

The solution at the end is using an UPS or having a remote connection to the robot to quickly restore the files.

For the second, what I used to do is: removing all the files from the robot memory, change default/initial program and installation to a new blank, and then copy the backup files you may have for your project.

I also have suffered what you mention, directly copying the new installation file sometimes also does not work.

I was able to solve this – by renaming both the installation and variables files, I was able to force the system to reboot with blank installation and variables files.
I then renamed that installation file, then pulled in backup installation and variables files as default.xx, and all seems to be well.

Maybe more convoluted than necessary, but seemed to work.

I will suggest that we put UPS systems on these robots.