Switching UR5e controller to NPN

I have a Keyence LS-9120 (laser micrometer).

I’ve been having trouble wiring the timing trigger and it turns out the LS controller is NPN and the UR5e controller is PNP.

Currently, I have the DO1 from the robot going to the COMMON(+) on the LS controller and 0v from the robot to the TIMING1 on the LS controller, but every time the wire touches 0v, it triggers even though the robot is not sending a signal.

I see in in the Tool I/O I am able to switch the standard output of DO0 and DO1 to sinking (NPN) but I am having the exact same issues.

Is there a way to make this trigger work?

There’s no way I’m aware of on the IO in the cabinet to change from PNP to NPN. You could always use a relay though to achieve this same function. Let the robot trigger the relay and use that to break the signal on the laser. Connect 14 to the trigger on the LS, 11 to 0V. Wire the common to 24V. Then connect your digital output to the A1 and 0V to A2 on the relay trigger side and that should solve the issue.

We use Phoenix Contact relays in our systems, part number 2966184

Could I use Phoenix Contact part number 2964319?

How would I do so?

According the the user manual, the max voltage from the Tool I/O in sinking mode is 0.9 volts. Since your device is ON at 1V or lower, this will always trigger the laser regardless of tool I/O state.
A relay is the best option.
(User manual, e-Series SW 5.12, section 5, page 47)

How would you suggest using a relay to wire the LS controllers judgement output to the UR5e input using the same relay?

(Previously we discussed input to UR5e output)

As mbush said: Use a relay to separate the signals. But the other way around, since you want an input. Just be aware of the 50mA sinking current.

This relay will do, since it only has an input current of 9mA: https://www.phoenixcontact.com/en-us/products/relay-module-rif-0-rpt-24dc-1-2903361

Then connect GO to A2- and COM_OUT to A1+. Robot 24V goes to 13 and 14 goes to Digital Input in the robot controller. :slight_smile: