String with quotation mark

Hi,

is there a possibility to send a quotation mark via socket_send_string()?

I tried " " " but it didn’t work.

Thank You!

Try with \ " (without space between) that should result in just the quotation mark

Hi michael,

i tried to allocate a string:="\ “”, but the allocation was not accepted.

I also tried ’ " ', but that also did not work.

Hello,

There currently isn’t a way to do this, however you can accomplish the same task using this workaround: socket_send_string(popup((str_cat("’’",“test”)),"’’")))

where " ’ ’ " - with no spaces is used instead of double quotes.

If you need the quation to be a string to send to some sort of external device you can test: socket_send_string(to_str("’’")) using the same method I mentioned above- " ’ ’ "

Hope this helps.

Hello,

Is it a requirement that you use socket_send_string() to send the quotation? I ask because there’s a support article on the support site (here: How to send a quotation mark via socket communication) that talks about this. Instead it discusses using socket_send_byte() which allows the use of ASCII characters. Hopefully this will help by giving another potential option.

Hi,

thanks inu and dsh for the solutions.

We use Polyscope V3.7, that´s why I cannot use inu`s solution. The string manipulation functionalities are in V3.8.

Socket_send_byte(34) is working for me. I wanted to send data in json-format, to meet the requirements of our customer, a quotationmark is needed in this context.

@jbm and @inu I would like to resurface this question and or propose this for future functionality of Polyscope, I need help sending a double quote ( " ) over socket communication (trying to avoid RTDE). I have tried all three methods listed in this discussion:

• " or "\ - Polyscope doesn’t like this
  • str_cat("’’") where (" ’ ’ ") but this is still read as TWO single quotes ( ’ ) which will not work for my needs
  • socket_send_byte(34) - works however (and I’m not too tech savey on the buffer line) when I use a TCPlistener it receives the command in separate lines and it doesn’t always split in the same spot. **Note: this was while using socket_send_string() command to avoid “\n” added at end of every piece of the string.

The device reads commands/strings as a single line ending in \n. I have used socket_send_line() to communicate with the device and it works fine for most commands even using single quotes within the string.

I can’t share the specific command but let’s say it looks something like this:

String = “Hello World: “URname”, “SomeoneElsesName”,“UR”, “display”, 1”

Socket_send_line(String)

Any help would be great, thanks!

Hi,

I tried your workaround with socket_send_string(to_str(“’’”)), using " ’ ’ " and it looks like it works.

I will send this to an external device at a customer (can’t try right now), but will the device actually see ’ ’ as "? Does to_str() make them into the same character?