[SOLVED] URSim running issue after a clean installation

Hello,

I’m having an issue running the URSim (both 3.4.1 and 3.3.3) on my clean Ubuntu 17.04 where I installed the sdk-1.1.0-76, idk 1.8 and Maven 3.3.9 (no Starter package). I updated both the install.sh (SDK and URSim) files with the tips listed on this forum. I had no problems installing the SDK and also building the HelloWorld and MyDaemon examples.
After running ./install.sh I got the three desktop icons for the ursim, but when calling ./start-ursim.sh the program stops at 100% and on terminal I get this log:

~/ursim-3.4.1-59/GUI ~/ursim-3.4.1-59 ~/ursim-3.4.1-59
May 29, 2017 6:47:36 PM com.steadystate.css.parser.CSSOMParser
WARNING: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.steadystate.css.parser.SACParserCSS21 not found by org.w3c.css.sac [54]
May 29, 2017 6:47:36 PM com.steadystate.css.parser.CSSOMParser
WARNING: using the default ‘SACParserCSS21’ instead
WARNING [Thread-3] 18:47:36 29/05/17 Configuration.checkIfDataFromControllerReceived(line:423): Method used before correct value has been received from controller, returning default = [D@71b30f0d
WARNING [Thread-3] 18:47:36 29/05/17 Configuration.checkIfDataFromControllerReceived(line:424): Ignoring any future reports of error
Could not set the title in the daemon process.
ERROR [Init thread] 18:47:46 29/05/17: Crashed while loading
com.google.inject.ProvisionException: Guice provision errors:

1. Error injecting constructor, java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
    at gui.polyscope.IOTab.(IOTab.java:26)
    while locating gui.polyscope.IOTab
    at com.ur.g3.mainpanels.PolyscopePanel.(PolyscopePanel.java:73)
    at com.ur.g3.mainpanels.PolyscopePanel.class(PolyscopePanel.java:45)
    while locating com.ur.g3.mainpanels.PolyscopePanel
    at gui.main.MainPanel.(MainPanel.java:22)
    at gui.main.MainPanel.class(MainPanel.java:22)
    while locating gui.main.MainPanel
    for parameter 2 at com.ur.g3.mainpanels.SelectStartScreen.(SelectStartScreen.java:22)
    while locating com.ur.g3.mainpanels.SelectStartScreen
    while locating gui.main.OnStartup annotated with @com.google.inject.multibindings.Element(setName=,uniqueId=51)
    at com.ur.injection.GuiceBinder.configure(GuiceBinder.java:171)
    while locating java.util.Set<gui.main.OnStartup>
    for parameter 1 at gui.main.URGUI.(URGUI.java:102)
    at gui.main.URGUI.class(URGUI.java:98)
    while locating gui.main.URGUI

1 error
at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl$4.get(InjectorImpl.java:987)
at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl.getInstance(InjectorImpl.java:1013)
at com.ur.injection.GuiceBuilder.get(GuiceBuilder.java:26)

Sometimes also looks that the Controller cannot starts or crashes immediately. Is something related to Java framework or I made something wrong?

I will add more details for a better understanding.
Best regards,

Matteo Timossi @recognitionrobotics

Hi @recognitionrobotics,
I had similar problems running in Ubuntu 16.04. I suggest you to try the software in Ubuntu 14.04, it works fine there.

Need Java 1.6 to run Polyscope… which is not so straightforward to install in recent releases as it’s been removed from standard repositories.

You can run the simulator on 1.7 and 1.8 after you install it properly by configuring java, but the real robots have Java 1.6 installed by default, so I wouldn’t recommend it.

ah ok I didn’t get that far, just reverted to 1.6 :slight_smile:

Thank you @jubeira. This works now, with 14.04, and I’m also using Java 1.7 (@ajp) without any issues.

The only thing is that, running mvn install it works, but running mvn install -P ursim for the deploy in the same VM I get some errors. I’ll take you updated.

In case anyone comes back to trying to install URSim under Ubuntu 16.04, it’s possible if you change this line in the install.sh file:

commonDependencies='libcurl3 openjdk-6-jre libjava3d-* ttf-dejavu* fonts-ipafont fonts-baekmuk fonts-nanum fonts-arphic-uming fonts-arphic-ukai'

Change openjdk-6-jre to openjdk-8-jre to prompt it to install 1.8 instead of trying to find 1.6 which doesn’t exist in the repositories.

4 Likes

Thank you @ajp, I tested today with Ubuntu 16.04, it works correctly.

Thank’s for this advice :slight_smile: I use Linux Mint 18 (based on Ubuntu 16.04). I’ve changed ‘openjdk-6-jre’ to ‘openjdk-8-jre’, have run installation (‘./install.sh’) and it went through, but there were some problems with dependencies at the end. After running ‘./start-ursim.sh’ program starts and everything looks good, but should I worry about this dependencies errors while installation?
Where can I find ‘ursim-5.x.x’?

The result of installation:

~/UniversalRobots/ursim-3.4.4-97 $ ./install.sh
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Note, selecting ‘libjava3d-jni’ for glob ‘libjava3d-
Note, selecting ‘libjava3d-java-doc’ for glob 'libjava3d-

Note, selecting ‘libjava3d-java’ for glob ‘libjava3d-
Note, selecting ‘ttf-dejavu-core’ for glob 'ttf-dejavu

Note, selecting ‘ttf-dejavu-extra’ for glob ‘ttf-dejavu*’
Note, selecting ‘ttf-dejavu’ for glob ‘ttf-dejavu*’
fonts-arphic-ukai is already the newest version (0.2.20080216.2-4ubuntu2).
fonts-arphic-uming is already the newest version (0.2.20080216.2-7ubuntu2).
fonts-nanum is already the newest version (20140930-1).
lib32gcc1 is already the newest version (1:6.0.1-0ubuntu1).
fonts-baekmuk is already the newest version (2.2-11).
fonts-ipafont is already the newest version (00303-13ubuntu1).
libjava3d-java is already the newest version (1.5.2+dfsg-11ubuntu1).
libjava3d-java-doc is already the newest version (1.5.2+dfsg-11ubuntu1).
libjava3d-jni is already the newest version (1.5.2+dfsg-11ubuntu1).
ttf-dejavu is already the newest version (2.35-1).
ttf-dejavu-core is already the newest version (2.35-1).
ttf-dejavu-extra is already the newest version (2.35-1).
lib32stdc++6 is already the newest version (5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.6).
libc6-i386 is already the newest version (2.23-0ubuntu10).
libcurl3 is already the newest version (7.47.0-1ubuntu2.5).
openjdk-8-jre is already the newest version (8u151-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.2).
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
libphobos2-ldc71
Use ‘apt autoremove’ to remove it.
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 40 not to upgrade.
(Reading database … 328104 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/curl-dev-ur_7.18.2-1_amd64.deb …
Unpacking curl-dev-ur (7.18.2-1) …
dpkg: error processing archive /home/tm/UniversalRobots/ursim-3.4.4-97/ursim-dependencies/curl-dev-ur_7.18.2-1_amd64.deb (–install):
trying to overwrite ‘/opt/urtool-3.0/share/man/man3/curl_multi_info_read.3’, which is also in package urtool3 0.3
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: internal gzip write error: Broken pipe
dpkg-deb (subprocess): cannot copy archive member from ‘/home/tm/UniversalRobots/ursim-3.4.4-97/ursim-dependencies/curl-dev-ur_7.18.2-1_amd64.deb’ to decompressor pipe: failed to write (Broken pipe)
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess returned error exit status 2
Preparing to unpack …/libxmlrpc-c-dev-ur_1.33.14_amd64.deb …
Unpacking libxmlrpc-c-dev-ur (1.33.14) …
dpkg: error processing archive /home/tm/UniversalRobots/ursim-3.4.4-97/ursim-dependencies/libxmlrpc-c-dev-ur_1.33.14_amd64.deb (–install):
trying to overwrite ‘/opt/urtool-3.0/include/xmlrpc-c/abyss.h’, which is also in package urtool3 0.3
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: internal gzip write error: Broken pipe
dpkg-deb (subprocess): cannot copy archive member from ‘/home/tm/UniversalRobots/ursim-3.4.4-97/ursim-dependencies/libxmlrpc-c-dev-ur_1.33.14_amd64.deb’ to decompressor pipe: failed to write (Broken pipe)
Preparing to unpack …/libxmlrpc-c-ur_1.33.14_amd64.deb …
Unpacking libxmlrpc-c-ur (1.33.14) …
dpkg: error processing archive /home/tm/UniversalRobots/ursim-3.4.4-97/ursim-dependencies/libxmlrpc-c-ur_1.33.14_amd64.deb (–install):
trying to overwrite ‘/opt/urtool-3.0/lib/libxmlrpc_server.so.3.33’, which is also in package urtool3 0.3
dpkg-deb (subprocess): cannot copy archive member from ‘/home/tm/UniversalRobots/ursim-3.4.4-97/ursim-dependencies/libxmlrpc-c-ur_1.33.14_amd64.deb’ to decompressor pipe: failed to write (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/home/tm/UniversalRobots/ursim-3.4.4-97/ursim-dependencies/curl-dev-ur_7.18.2-1_amd64.deb
/home/tm/UniversalRobots/ursim-3.4.4-97/ursim-dependencies/libxmlrpc-c-dev-ur_1.33.14_amd64.deb
/home/tm/UniversalRobots/ursim-3.4.4-97/ursim-dependencies/libxmlrpc-c-ur_1.33.14_amd64.deb

I would guess this won’t cause a problem, looks like it’s trying to install the xmlrpc packages that have already been installed by the SDK urtool, and can’t handle that nicely for some reason…

You could try out one of the xmlrpc samples to see if it works:

https://www.universal-robots.com/how-tos-and-faqs/how-to/ur-how-tos/xml-rpc-communication-16326/

1 Like

I have tried this xmlrpc example and it works :slight_smile: Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

If you need to run daemons, remember step 3 in this link [SOLVED] `DaemonContribution::start()` always ends in `ERROR` - #5 by federico.baiamonte Install URsim PolyScope 3.3.3.292 on Ubuntu 16.04

It also works for PolyScope 3.4 and 3.5

1 Like

Hello,

I have a similar problem with URsim 3.15.3 on melodic Ubunti 18. I tried with Java 8 and 6.

I could install it but i couldn’t run it correctly. Please help me !