Modbus and ProfiNet at the same time possible?

Hello,

We are planning a packing solution to put some bottles into a carton.
Therefore, we want to install a Stepper or Servo Motor. To do that, we want to communicate with the controller with the ProfiNet Protocol.

Just in case, that we need an extension of the E/A Board, which is done over the Modbus Protocol. Would that be possible? Or should we do the communication with the Stepper / Servo Controller also over the Modbus Protocol?

Hope there is some help out therešŸ˜Š

Hi @FrankBritten ,

This post gives you some info.

But please pay attention to a difference that UR robots only act as ā€œserverā€ in Profinet but could be ā€œclientā€ or ā€œserverā€ in Modbus TCP so please be sure that you want the robot to be a server or client.

According to your description, I guess your robot should be a client to send requests to your stepper/ servo motor, right? If so, your robot cannot be a ā€œclientā€ when using Profinet protocol.

Thanks

Hi @sya

thanks for that fast responce. I think I will go for Modbus, so the comunication will be the same bus-system.

Sorry that I did not use the ssearch function, I was looking for stepper control:-)

Before you setting on Modbus be aware that if you are using the UR client, there are some devices that it doesnā€™t seem to work with. I havenā€™t had any luck talking to a Cognex camera or Kollmorgen AKD drive over Modbus.

1 Like

Did you find a solution to comunicate the Robot via Modbus with the Cognex Camera? I want to do it with a 7000 model and an UR10e. Maybe you can give me a clue how it was for you?

Thanks!!

Hi Ivan,

we tried to extend our UR10e with to E/A Cards from MOXA over the Modbus.
For our project it was to slow since we need to count some bottles and we had to
build in an External CPU from Siemens to get our project forward.

We do not use a camera so fare.

Frank

1 Like

thanks for your feedback. I ope the project was a big success