Can't get there from here

I have an application where I pick up a part, twist it 90 degrees to put on a gage, then possibly twist it another 90 degrees to place on an outgoing rack. The workspace is fairly tight.
I can get the robot to work through the process, and I’ve been experimenting with various intermediate points. However, I still find that when I go to repeat the cycle, or even reverse it, I quickly get to a point where it’s sending the TCP to the same point, but with a completely different joint pose, so it will either fail or I’ll have to stop it before it crashes.

I assume this is a relatively common issue. Other than lots of experimenting with intermediate waypoints, is there a good strategy for dealing with this?

Maybe you can use the “Use joint angles” selection shown below. Also take a look at this article Universal Robots - What is a singularity?

Thanks. I looked at all that, and had myself convinced that I was just working too close to the robot’s base axis, so had about decided that I needed to move the robot base to a new position.
However, I checked the TCP - it was set the same as a similar unit (configuration was probably just copied from the other unit) and it was not correct.
I reset the TCP, then reconfigured the planes & points I was using, and now all appears to be working correctly.

Basics are important :slight_smile:

I’m still wondering just what the “use joint angles” option does.

Use joint angles will put the robot in the same position regardless of the selected tcp.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.