Advanced Path Planing - Smooth Acceleration Profiles

Hello World!

How does one implement something like S-Curve Acceleration or alternative modes for ultra smooth motion using high speeds?

We are desiging a fast paced bin-picking type of system and we want to get max speed with little to no judder from start/stop or change of direction.

I assume the UR uses linear acceleration profiles, and little googling finds lovely videos comparing linear vs S-curve acceleration profiles that greatly reduce judder.

Has anyone done this with a UR?

Hey @karlis , I’m mostly ignorant in that matter, but some things I’ve seen is Spline based trajectory planner ( Optimal Trajectory Planner on OmniPack ) to my eyes, this type of trajectory planning is part of the future on cobots due to increase cycle times keeping max velocity which thing effects colaborativeness.
OmniPack is not the only one using it, robotiq for example also has them. Implementation still has to get better in general fow everyone.
Parameters as speed and acceleration can be tuned and directly controlled at least through RTDE. I don’t know if there is an easiest way to manage it. Take a look to URScript Manual. idk

btw very interesting topic.

If you can find the maths to do it, you’d have to implement it yourself using servoj commands, theres information about servoj in the URScript manual, as well as various places throughout the forum, as it is a common function used when planning very precise trajectories. It basically involves controlling the robot every step cycle (500hz on an e-series) to let you plan exactly how you want the robot to move.

Thank you both very much.

I will keep this topic updated once we crack it.