Protective Stop Failure - C283A1

I have encountered the error code C283A1 for the e-series. The error becomes apparent when pushing the protective stop at certain speeds. The problem is that the robot disables all I/O´s thereby dropping our product when the error occurs.
For example, in MoveJ, pushing the protective stop at 40 degrees a second the violation happens. But at 20 degrees a second nothing happens.
I know it has something to do with the robots breaking, but how do I fix it?
Im runing the Latest software on our e-series as well.

IF YOUR RISK ASSEMENT ALLOWS

You can adjust your safety limits to allow higher accel, speed as required

The safety limits is set to “Least Restrictive” and I have adjusted everything to gain as much speed and movement as possible.

The warning that comes up says: “C283A1: Safety system: Robot is not braking when in Stop Mode”.

When running the test. The I/Os diables, but on screen they show as active (turned on). That is what I cant figure. Do you have any ideas for what else to do?

Hello,

Watch if your parameters as TCP and payload are well entered in the installation tab
On your program, change the payload and center of gravity if the robot take products and watch out your accel and speed in the move command.

When you say “pushing protective stop” - do you mean the emergency stop or the safeguard?
Do you think the C283A1 only happens because the robot drops your product?

The UR cuts 24V as a safety precaution when in emergency stop or a violation happens. There is nothing to do about that except installing an external 24V supply. :slight_smile:

EDIT: When thinking it through, I’m not actually sure the robot cuts 24V when emergency stopped. Is it only when a violation happens maybe?

Thanks for the suggestion, but everything has been setup for our tool as it should be. The funny thing is we have the same setup on the older CB3 model, and no violations occurs when pushing the protective stop at various speeds.

In the meantime I had time to test the violation on a customers UR10e, which is the same model as ours. I found that the problem occurs on their e-series model as well. I might suspect that this is a general problem with the e-series?

Yes sorry. I meant when “pushing emergency stop” on the teach pendant :wink:

The robot doesn’t drop our product when hitting the emergency stop. I think you’re right in what you are saying that the UR sends a signal to cut the power to our vacuum pump.
To be more clear about this. Our products is lifted by a external vacuum system attached to the robot, to lift more weight. It is this system that can be controlled and turned on and off in the I/O section of the teach pendant by sending a signal.
When the violation happens, our vacuum system is still “on” in the I/O, but it sends a signal to cut the power and disable the system in reality.

If you’re using the Cobot Lift (or similar), it will indeed be a very sensitive process. You can rarely move the robot very fast, and sudden stops and starts will most likely cause the robot to go into protective stop.
As you have also observed yourself, the e-series is more “safe” than the CB-series and will go into protective stop “easier”.

You need to install an external 24V supply to not drop your product when a violation happens - or preferably not have violations happen at all. :slight_smile:
Trying to move fast with the Cobot Lift is not a very good idea (for the reasons you’ve encountered). Cobot Lift writes this themselves: