Universal Robots+

Get safety message string from Dashboard through RTDE, Urscript or RTC

Hi, I’m wondering if there is a way of getting the safety message string from the Dashboard/Teach Pendant as it shows up as a safety message popup, through some form of communication; Either RTDE, urScript og RTC?

It would be really helpful to be able to read this message from afar, as our robot is working in conditions where the pendant is not connected or cannot be viewed.

Thank you in advance.

Hi @andreas1,

Do you need the complete text of the message? If so I think it’s possible to get it from the primary client interface byte stream on port 30001, but it’s a bit of a hassle to process it.

If just knowing the current safety status is sufficient, you can check safety_status_bits through RTDE.

1 Like

Hi @ajp,

Is there a way to get error/ exception messages from RTDE interface? Can we use the RTDE_TEXT_MESSAGE package to retrieve any messages from the controller? If so can you share any code sample or any useful links? Thanks

Hi @roy.j, no unfortunately I think this is still not possible. Seems the text message package will only contain info on protocol related issues, not from the robot log. I can see two alternative approaches - either 1) filter the primary client interface to get relevant messages, or 2) monitor the safety status through RTDE, then when robot goes into error state, connect to dashboard server on port 29999 and send “save log\n” to update log_history.txt and then ssh/sftp in to get the tail end of that log file and see what’s going on (bit convoluted but pretty easy to do).