Connect to UR with ROS2

Hello everyone,

i try to connect to my UR3e via ROS2. For this i installed ros2 foxy (https://docs.ros.org/en/foxy/Installa…) To connect to my UR i installed the Universal Robot package (https://github.com/UniversalRobots/Un…)

Now i have some issues, when i finally want to connect to the Robot. I installed the externalcontrol-1.0.5.urcap file on the Teachpendant. The Pendant is running with the Polyscope version 5.12.4. When i start

“ros2 launch ur_bringup ur_control.launch.py ur_type:=ur3e robot_ip:=192.168.1.102 use_fake_hardware:=true launch_rviz:=true”

i get following error: [ERROR] [1664263597.180336063] [UR_Client_Library]: Failed to connect to robot on IP 192.168.1.102. Please check that the robot is booted and reachable on 192.168.1.102. Retrying in 10 seconds

Afterwards i start the URCap file on the Panel. There i get the Error “The connection to the remote PC at 192.168.1.110:50002 could not be established. Reason: connection time out” or “The connection to the remote PC at 192.168.1.110:50002 could not be established. Reason: No route to host (Host unreachable)” or “The connection to the remote PC at 192.168.1.110:50002 could not be established. Reason: Connection refused (Connection refused)”

My ROS2 is running in VM Ware on Ubuntu 20.04. I my VM i set up a additional Network adapter. The already existing one is set to NAT. The new one is set to Networkbridge, where i chose the Realtek PCIe Gbe Family Controller which should be my ethernet socket, where my lan cable from the UR is connected to. The second Adapter has a static IP Adress: 192.168.1.110.

Pinging the UR from the virtual machine is possible: 64 bytes from 192.168.1.102: icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=1.56 ms. A Ping is possible if both network adapters are activated or just any of them.

Does any of you have a idea where the problem is and how to solve this?.

First of all, you pointed me to an error with the Foxy branch, since we seem to be starting the dashboard client also when fake hardware is supposed to be used. This should be fixed by this PR.

So, as a first measure I suggest you don’t specify use_fake_hardware:=true if you want to connect to the real robot.

Next, let’s focus on the easy direction first. Before you cannot establish a connection to the robot, I wouldn’t assume, that the other direction works. So let’s ignore the URCap and running a program on the robot for a moment. As a side note: using a Networkbridge network interface will definitively make your life easier.

Since you can ping the IP address the next obvious assumption with a non-working connection would be that the IP address is indeed wrong. I assume, the answer is going to be “yes”, but for the sake of completeness: Are you sure that pinging 192.168.1.102 from your VM actually targets the robot? For connecting to the robot it should not make any difference whether you use a NAT interface or a bridged interface.

Also, please let me state the usual comment about virtual machines: VMs will most probably cause problems because of latency and real-time requirements.

Last, but not least: Do you have a specific reason why you want to use Foxy? ROS2 is still relatively active in development. So, despite Foxy being an LTS release it is less supported than newer versions. If you just start with ROS2, I might suggest that you start using Humble unless you have a specific requirement for Foxy. We will still support Foxy until its end of life, but only in terms of bugfixes.

1 Like

Thank your for your answer!

So, as a first measure I suggest you don’t specify use_fake_hardware:=true if you want to connect to the real robot.

When i start
ros2 launch ur_bringup ur_control.launch.py ur_type:=ur3e robot_ip:=192.168.1.102 robot_controller:=scaled_joint_trajectory_controller launch_rviz:=true
the RViz GUI pops up. There i can see only a white Model and under RobotModel it shows Status:Error.
Also in the Terminal it shows following warning:

Warning: Invalid frame ID "wrist_2_link" passed to canTransform argument source_frame - frame does not exist
[rviz2-5]          at line 133 in /tmp/binarydeb/ros-foxy-tf2-0.13.13/src/buffer_core.cpp

Are you sure that pinging 192.168.1.102 from your VM actually targets the robot?

I can say for sure that i set a static IP Adress on my UR. This is 192.168.1.102. My Subnetmask there is 255.255.255.0. Standart-Gateway: 0.0.0.0. Prefered DNS-Server: 0.0.0.0. Alternativ DNS-Server: 0.0.0.0.
I assume if i Ping 192.168.1.102 that it targets the robot. As soon as i remove the network cable i cant ping it anymore.

Do you have any suggestions how i can set this up easily? In the last days I’m having a lot of toubles setting up the right Network in my VM.

For connecting to the robot it should not make any difference whether you use a NAT interface or a bridged interface.

I’m not sure anymore where i read it. But somewhere there was a tip to turn of all other connections like WiFi. Thats why i setup a new Networkadapter just for the connection to the UR with a static IP Adress.

Do you suggest to boot Ubuntu from a USB?

Do you have a specific reason why you want to use Foxy

In addition i want to use a Intel Realsense D435i. Maybe i’m wrong. But as i understand it, the ROS2 package for the D435i just runs in foxy (ROS - Robot Operating System)

In addition I installed now Ubuntu with Windows dual boot.
There i installed ROS2 Humble and the ROS2 Universal Robot Package (GitHub - UniversalRobots/Universal_Robots_ROS2_Driver: Universal Robots ROS2 driver supporting CB3 and e-Series)

I start demo command

$ ros2 launch ur_robot_driver ur_control.launch.py ur_type:=ur3 robot_ip:=192.168.1.102

then the ROS2 control node waits to initialize.

$ [ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664377567.642047531] [io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for system interface to initialize...

and check

$ sudo netstat -peanut|grep 50002

there is no process running on that port?!

Is that correct? How to set or get the port for the UR?

Well, that doesn’t seem right…

Thanks for taking the extra effort of using a native ubuntu. To debug this further could you please execute the following commands and post their full output?

ip a

Assuming that you use a /24 net as it is most commonly used with this kind of IP prefix:

sudo nmap -sn 192.168.1.0/24
ros2 launch ur_robot_driver ur_control.launch.py ur_type:=ur3 robot_ip:=192.168.1.102

The output of

looks like this:

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
2: enp1s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 84:a9:38:eb:7d:82 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.101/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global noprefixroute enp1s0
    inet6 fe80::e311:9b02:66f:8c15/64 scope link noprefixroute 
3: enx806d9707ce58: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 80:6d:97:07:ce:58 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: wlp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1456 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 14:5a:fc:55:16:73 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.179.6/24 brd 192.168.179.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute wlp2s0
       valid_lft 21379sec preferred_lft 21379sec
    inet6 2003:f6:c70a:8a01:f866:72a4:202e:5c62/64 scope global temporary dynamic 
       valid_lft 6963sec preferred_lft 1496sec
    inet6 2003:f6:c70a:8a01:cba4:4c92:c15e:139c/64 scope global dynamic mngtmpaddr noprefixroute 
       valid_lft 6963sec preferred_lft 1496sec
    inet6 fe80::5061:38a9:9987:24dd/64 scope link noprefixroute 

When i run

ros2 launch ur_robot_driver ur_control.launch.py ur_type:=ur3 robot_ip:=192.168.1.102

the controlnode waits to initialize.

$ [ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664520103.398694059] [io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for system interface to initialize...

Also the RobotModel is not loading

$ [rviz2-5] Warning: Invalid frame ID "upper_arm_link" passed to canTransform argument source_frame - frame does not exist
$ [rviz2-5]          at line 93 in ./src/buffer_core.cpp

When i check

$ sudo netstat -peanut|grep 50002

i still get no output.

When i start the external control urcap on the theachpendant it says:

The connection to the remote PC at 192.168.1.101:50002 could not be established. Reason: Connection refused (Connection refused)

Please provide the full output from the launchfile, as otherwise we will not be able to see what is actually starting and what not.

As an example, when providing a wrong IP address on purpose I get

ros2 launch ur_robot_driver ur_control.launch.py ur_type:=ur3 robot_ip:=192.168.56.105                                                               
[INFO] [launch]: All log files can be found below /home/ubuntu/.ros/log/2022-10-04-07-49-31-558698-rosrolling-2654                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
[INFO] [launch]: Default logging verbosity is set to INFO                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
[INFO] [dashboard_client-2]: process started with pid [2659]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
[INFO] [controller_stopper_node-3]: process started with pid [2661]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[INFO] [ur_ros2_control_node-1]: process started with pid [2657]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
[INFO] [robot_state_publisher-4]: process started with pid [2663]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[INFO] [rviz2-5]: process started with pid [2665]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[INFO] [spawner-6]: process started with pid [2667]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[INFO] [spawner-7]: process started with pid [2669]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[INFO] [spawner-8]: process started with pid [2671]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[INFO] [spawner-9]: process started with pid [2673]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[INFO] [spawner-10]: process started with pid [2675]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
[INFO] [spawner-11]: process started with pid [2677]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
[controller_stopper_node-3] [INFO] [1664869772.331330670] [Controller stopper]: Waiting for switch controller service to come up on controller_manager/switch_controller                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.333883134] [kdl_parser]: Link base_link had 2 children.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.333963640] [kdl_parser]: Link base had 0 children.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.333974875] [kdl_parser]: Link base_link_inertia had 1 children.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334007471] [kdl_parser]: Link shoulder_link had 1 children.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334020206] [kdl_parser]: Link upper_arm_link had 1 children.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334026491] [kdl_parser]: Link forearm_link had 1 children.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334031087] [kdl_parser]: Link wrist_1_link had 1 children.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334035117] [kdl_parser]: Link wrist_2_link had 1 children.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334039468] [kdl_parser]: Link wrist_3_link had 2 children.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334043723] [kdl_parser]: Link flange had 1 children.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334048459] [kdl_parser]: Link tool0 had 0 children.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334053093] [kdl_parser]: Link ft_frame had 0 children.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334069399] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment base                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334152338] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment base_link                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334163670] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment base_link_inertia                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334170380] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment flange                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334176806] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment forearm_link                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334182987] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment ft_frame                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334189279] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment shoulder_link                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334195560] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment tool0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334201655] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment upper_arm_link                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334207833] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment world                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334213868] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment wrist_1_link                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334219991] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment wrist_2_link                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664869772.334226071] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment wrist_3_link                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664869772.340775878] [resource_manager]: Loading hardware 'ur3'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664869772.344094213] [resource_manager]: Initialize hardware 'ur3'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664869772.344198806] [resource_manager]: Successful initialization of hardware 'ur3'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664869772.345117313] [resource_manager]: 'configure' hardware 'ur3'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664869772.345141141] [resource_manager]: Successful 'configure' of hardware 'ur3'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664869772.345321564] [resource_manager]: 'activate' hardware 'ur3'                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664869772.345333540] [URPositionHardwareInterface]: Starting ...please wait...                                                                                                                                                                                                             
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664869772.345354003] [URPositionHardwareInterface]: Initializing driver...                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
[rviz2-5] QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-ubuntu'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
[spawner-6] [INFO] [1664869772.572260367] [spawner_joint_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                      
[spawner-8] [INFO] [1664869772.578656115] [spawner_speed_scaling_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                              
[spawner-10] [INFO] [1664869772.596904295] [spawner_forward_position_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' node to exist                                                                                                                                                                                            
[spawner-7] [INFO] [1664869772.609966494] [spawner_io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' node to exist                                                                                                                                                                                                
[spawner-9] [INFO] [1664869772.617459716] [spawner_force_torque_sensor_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' node to exist                                                                                                                                                                                         
[spawner-11] [INFO] [1664869772.625268814] [spawner_scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' node to exist                                                                                                                                                                                     
[rviz2-5] [INFO] [1664869772.770780851] [rviz2]: Stereo is NOT SUPPORTED                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[rviz2-5] [INFO] [1664869772.770927133] [rviz2]: OpenGl version: 4.6 (GLSL 4.6)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
[rviz2-5] [INFO] [1664869772.809246544] [rviz2]: Stereo is NOT SUPPORTED                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[spawner-6] [INFO] [1664869774.584133866] [spawner_joint_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                      
[spawner-8] [INFO] [1664869774.590655530] [spawner_speed_scaling_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                              
[spawner-10] [INFO] [1664869774.609335782] [spawner_forward_position_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                 
[spawner-7] [INFO] [1664869774.620775205] [spawner_io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                     
[spawner-9] [INFO] [1664869774.631407311] [spawner_force_torque_sensor_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                              
[spawner-11] [INFO] [1664869774.636500353] [spawner_scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                          
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [ERROR] [1664869775.407190874] [UR_Client_Library]: Failed to connect to robot on IP 192.168.56.105. Please check that the robot is booted and reachable on 192.168.56.105. Retrying in 10 seconds                                                                                                  
[dashboard_client-2] [ERROR] [1664869775.407223343] [UR_Client_Library]: Failed to connect to robot on IP 192.168.56.105. Please check that the robot is booted and reachable on 192.168.56.105. Retrying in 10 seconds                                                                                                      
[spawner-6] [INFO] [1664869776.595249989] [spawner_joint_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                      
[spawner-8] [INFO] [1664869776.602552241] [spawner_speed_scaling_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                              
[spawner-10] [INFO] [1664869776.618725212] [spawner_forward_position_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                 
[spawner-7] [INFO] [1664869776.634074672] [spawner_io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                     
[spawner-9] [INFO] [1664869776.646679262] [spawner_force_torque_sensor_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                              
[spawner-11] [INFO] [1664869776.647816124] [spawner_scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                          
[spawner-6] [INFO] [1664869778.613218147] [spawner_joint_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                      
[spawner-8] [INFO] [1664869778.620940950] [spawner_speed_scaling_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                              
[spawner-10] [INFO] [1664869778.633210304] [spawner_forward_position_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                 
[spawner-7] [INFO] [1664869778.648993674] [spawner_io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                     
[spawner-9] [INFO] [1664869778.667544691] [spawner_force_torque_sensor_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                              
[spawner-11] [INFO] [1664869778.667581766] [spawner_scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                          
[spawner-6] [INFO] [1664869780.631888585] [spawner_joint_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                      
[spawner-8] [INFO] [1664869780.637251861] [spawner_speed_scaling_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                              
[spawner-10] [INFO] [1664869780.646713957] [spawner_forward_position_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                 
[spawner-7] [INFO] [1664869780.659506062] [spawner_io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                                     
[spawner-11] [INFO] [1664869780.686095709] [spawner_scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                          
[spawner-9] [INFO] [1664869780.686175662] [spawner_force_torque_sensor_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available                                                                                                                                                                              
[spawner-6] [ERROR] [1664869782.649860157] [spawner_joint_state_broadcaster]: Controller manager not available                                                                                                                                                                                                               
[spawner-8] [ERROR] [1664869782.652453090] [spawner_speed_scaling_state_broadcaster]: Controller manager not available                  
[spawner-10] [ERROR] [1664869782.669446869] [spawner_forward_position_controller]: Controller manager not available                            
[spawner-7] [ERROR] [1664869782.677625536] [spawner_io_and_status_controller]: Controller manager not available                                    
[spawner-9] [ERROR] [1664869782.704720303] [spawner_force_torque_sensor_broadcaster]: Controller manager not available                                                                                             
[spawner-11] [ERROR] [1664869782.706263336] [spawner_scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Controller manager not available

To me, the [ERROR] [1664869782.649860157] [spawner_joint_state_broadcaster]: Controller manager not available line would not be much help, since the hint what’s going wrong is in another error line. Therefore, please always provide full logging output. Don’t worry about cluttering a post, but keeping information back won’t help finding the problems.

Please also post the output of the sudo nmap -sn 192.168.1.0/24 command.

Here is the output of ros2 launch ur_robot_driver ur_control.launch.py ur_type:=ur3e robot_ip:=192.168.1.102

ros2 launch ur_robot_driver ur_control.launch.py ur_type:=ur3e robot_ip:=192.168.1.102
[INFO] [launch]: All log files can be found below /home/luca/.ros/log/2022-10-04-10-11-21-513687-Lenovo-V15-G2-ALC-8352
[INFO] [dashboard_client-2]: process started with pid [8357]
[INFO] [controller_stopper_node-3]: process started with pid [8359]
[INFO] [ur_ros2_control_node-1]: process started with pid [8355]
[INFO] [robot_state_publisher-4]: process started with pid [8361]
[INFO] [rviz2-5]: process started with pid [8363]
[INFO] [spawner-6]: process started with pid [8365]
[INFO] [spawner-7]: process started with pid [8367]
[INFO] [spawner-8]: process started with pid [8369]
[INFO] [spawner-9]: process started with pid [8404]
[INFO] [spawner-10]: process started with pid [8412]
[INFO] [spawner-11]: process started with pid [8417]
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664871082.149400528] [resource_manager]: Loading hardware 'ur3e' 
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664871082.151777429] [resource_manager]: Initialize hardware 'ur3e' 
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664871082.151871365] [resource_manager]: Successful initialization of hardware 'ur3e'
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664871082.152051765] [resource_manager]: 'configure' hardware 'ur3e' 
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664871082.152065105] [resource_manager]: Successful 'configure' of hardware 'ur3e'
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664871082.152095136] [resource_manager]: 'activate' hardware 'ur3e' 
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664871082.152107498] [URPositionHardwareInterface]: Starting ...please wait...
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664871082.152131803] [URPositionHardwareInterface]: Initializing driver...
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] Warning: No realtime capabilities found. Consider using a realtime system for better performance
[ur_ros2_control_node-1]          at line 396 in ./include/ur_client_library/comm/pipeline.h
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link base_link had 2 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link base had 0 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link base_link_inertia had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link shoulder_link had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link upper_arm_link had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link forearm_link had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link wrist_1_link had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link wrist_2_link had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link wrist_3_link had 2 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link flange had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link tool0 had 0 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link ft_frame had 0 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141300501] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment base
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141486976] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment base_link
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141505624] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment base_link_inertia
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141517497] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment flange
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141528602] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment forearm_link
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141540405] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment ft_frame
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141551859] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment shoulder_link
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141563383] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment tool0
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141695103] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment upper_arm_link
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141709769] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment world
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141721363] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment wrist_1_link
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141733236] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment wrist_2_link
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664871082.141745039] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment wrist_3_link
[rviz2-5] Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
[controller_stopper_node-3] [INFO] [1664871082.137958396] [Controller stopper]: Waiting for switch controller service to come up on controller_manager/switch_controller
[spawner-8] [INFO] [1664871082.442083629] [spawner_speed_scaling_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-9] [INFO] [1664871082.457014043] [spawner_force_torque_sensor_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' node to exist
[spawner-6] [INFO] [1664871082.471585334] [spawner_joint_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-7] [INFO] [1664871082.487947420] [spawner_io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-10] [INFO] [1664871082.488387419] [spawner_forward_position_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' node to exist
[spawner-11] [INFO] [1664871082.515351518] [spawner_scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[rviz2-5] [INFO] [1664871082.554077063] [rviz2]: Stereo is NOT SUPPORTED
[rviz2-5] [INFO] [1664871082.554290009] [rviz2]: OpenGl version: 4.6 (GLSL 4.6)
[rviz2-5] [INFO] [1664871082.569471501] [rviz2]: Stereo is NOT SUPPORTED
[rviz2-5] Warning: Invalid frame ID "forearm_link" passed to canTransform argument source_frame - frame does not exist
[rviz2-5]          at line 93 in ./src/buffer_core.cpp
[rviz2-5] Warning: Invalid frame ID "shoulder_link" passed to canTransform argument source_frame - frame does not exist
[rviz2-5] Warning: Invalid frame ID "upper_arm_link" passed to canTransform argument source_frame - frame does not exist
[rviz2-5] Warning: Invalid frame ID "wrist_1_link" passed to canTransform argument source_frame - frame does not exist
[rviz2-5] Warning: Invalid frame ID "wrist_2_link" passed to canTransform argument source_frame - frame does not exist
[rviz2-5] Warning: Invalid frame ID "forearm_link" passed to canTransform argument source_frame - frame does not exist
[rviz2-5] Warning: Invalid frame ID "shoulder_link" passed to canTransform argument source_frame - frame does not exist
[rviz2-5] Warning: Invalid frame ID "upper_arm_link" passed to canTransform argument source_frame - frame does not exist
[rviz2-5] Warning: Invalid frame ID "wrist_1_link" passed to canTransform argument source_frame - frame does not exist
[rviz2-5] Warning: Invalid frame ID "wrist_2_link" passed to canTransform argument source_frame - frame does not exist

Here is the output of sudo nmap -sn 192.168.1.0/24

sudo nmap -sn 192.168.1.0/24
Starting Nmap 7.80 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2022-10-04 10:14 CEST
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.102
Host is up (0.000097s latency).
MAC Address: 00:30:D6:2A:AF:C2 (MSC Vertriebs Gmbh)
Nmap scan report for Lenovo-V15-G2-ALC (192.168.1.101)
Host is up.
Nmap done: 256 IP addresses (2 hosts up) scanned in 3.78 seconds

Looks like the shell gets flooded from RViz complaining. You could switch that off by passing launch_rviz:=false as an additional argument. Sorry that I forgot to suggest that earlier.

With ros2 launch ur_robot_driver ur_control.launch.py ur_type:=ur3e robot_ip:=192.168.1.102 launch_rviz:=false the output looks like this:

ros2 launch ur_robot_driver ur_control.launch.py ur_type:=ur3e robot_ip:=192.168.1.102 launch_rviz:=false
[INFO] [launch]: All log files can be found below /home/luca/.ros/log/2022-10-04-13-09-00-997452-Lenovo-V15-G2-ALC-7001
[INFO] [dashboard_client-2]: process started with pid [7006]
[INFO] [controller_stopper_node-3]: process started with pid [7008]
[INFO] [ur_ros2_control_node-1]: process started with pid [7004]
[INFO] [robot_state_publisher-4]: process started with pid [7010]
[INFO] [spawner-5]: process started with pid [7012]
[INFO] [spawner-6]: process started with pid [7014]
[INFO] [spawner-7]: process started with pid [7016]
[INFO] [spawner-8]: process started with pid [7018]
[INFO] [spawner-9]: process started with pid [7020]
[INFO] [spawner-10]: process started with pid [7022]
[controller_stopper_node-3] [INFO] [1664881741.736012328] [Controller stopper]: Waiting for switch controller service to come up on controller_manager/switch_controller
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881741.753541897] [resource_manager]: Loading hardware 'ur3e' 
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881741.766018220] [resource_manager]: Initialize hardware 'ur3e' 
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881741.766153292] [resource_manager]: Successful initialization of hardware 'ur3e'
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link base_link had 2 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link base had 0 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link base_link_inertia had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link shoulder_link had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link upper_arm_link had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link forearm_link had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link wrist_1_link had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link wrist_2_link had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link wrist_3_link had 2 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link flange had 1 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link tool0 had 0 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] Link ft_frame had 0 children
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.766660265] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment base
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881741.766431188] [resource_manager]: 'configure' hardware 'ur3e' 
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881741.766519326] [resource_manager]: Successful 'configure' of hardware 'ur3e'
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881741.766561789] [resource_manager]: 'activate' hardware 'ur3e' 
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881741.766578412] [URPositionHardwareInterface]: Starting ...please wait...
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881741.766613262] [URPositionHardwareInterface]: Initializing driver...
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.766874326] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment base_link
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.766893183] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment base_link_inertia
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.766906523] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment flange
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.766917837] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment forearm_link
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.766930059] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment ft_frame
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.766942071] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment shoulder_link
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.766953525] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment tool0
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.766965887] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment upper_arm_link
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.766977900] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment world
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.766987817] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment wrist_1_link
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.767000738] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment wrist_2_link
[robot_state_publisher-4] [INFO] [1664881741.767013099] [robot_state_publisher]: got segment wrist_3_link
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] Warning: No realtime capabilities found. Consider using a realtime system for better performance
[ur_ros2_control_node-1]          at line 396 in ./include/ur_client_library/comm/pipeline.h
[spawner-6] [INFO] [1664881741.974954864] [spawner_io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-10] [INFO] [1664881742.000693077] [spawner_scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' node to exist
[spawner-7] [INFO] [1664881742.028034481] [spawner_speed_scaling_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-5] [INFO] [1664881742.032580615] [spawner_joint_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-8] [INFO] [1664881742.036457047] [spawner_force_torque_sensor_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-9] [INFO] [1664881742.037170399] [spawner_forward_position_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-6] [INFO] [1664881743.991713040] [spawner_io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-10] [INFO] [1664881744.016218359] [spawner_scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-7] [INFO] [1664881744.043485106] [spawner_speed_scaling_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-5] [INFO] [1664881744.047582235] [spawner_joint_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-8] [INFO] [1664881744.050280596] [spawner_force_torque_sensor_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-9] [INFO] [1664881744.050597114] [spawner_forward_position_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-6] [INFO] [1664881746.009217540] [spawner_io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-10] [INFO] [1664881746.033189908] [spawner_scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-7] [INFO] [1664881746.059372591] [spawner_speed_scaling_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-5] [INFO] [1664881746.064319191] [spawner_joint_state_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-9] [INFO] [1664881746.066500732] [spawner_forward_position_controller]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[spawner-8] [INFO] [1664881746.066514630] [spawner_force_torque_sensor_broadcaster]: Waiting for '/controller_manager' services to be available
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [FATAL] [1664881747.865636229] [URPositionHardwareInterface]: Variable 'speed_slider_mask' is currently controlled by another RTDE client. The input recipe can't be used as configured
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881747.865725834] [resource_manager]: Failed to 'activate' hardware 'ur3e'
[controller_stopper_node-3] [INFO] [1664881747.889223356] [Controller stopper]: Service available
[controller_stopper_node-3] [INFO] [1664881747.889342155] [Controller stopper]: Waiting for list controllers service to come up on controller_manager/list_controllers
[controller_stopper_node-3] [INFO] [1664881747.889398796] [Controller stopper]: Service available
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.041237650] [controller_manager]: Loading controller 'io_and_status_controller'
[spawner-6] [INFO] [1664881748.060373836] [spawner_io_and_status_controller]: Loaded io_and_status_controller
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.063518759] [controller_manager]: Loading controller 'scaled_joint_trajectory_controller'
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.075323707] [joint_trajectory_controller.interpolation_methods]: No interpolation method parameter was given. Using the default, VARIABLE_DEGREE_SPLINE.
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.076717516] [controller_manager]: Configuring controller 'io_and_status_controller'
[spawner-10] [INFO] [1664881748.077362634] [spawner_scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Loaded scaled_joint_trajectory_controller
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.089648714] [controller_manager]: Configuring controller 'scaled_joint_trajectory_controller'
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.089841334] [scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: No specific joint names are used for command interfaces. Using 'joints' parameter.
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.089907962] [scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Command interfaces are [position] and state interfaces are [position velocity].
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.089991212] [joint_trajectory_controller.interpolation_methods]: No interpolation method parameter was given. Using the default, VARIABLE_DEGREE_SPLINE.
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.090003574] [scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Using 'splines' interpolation method.
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.093383999] [scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Controller state will be published at 100.00 Hz.
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.097716561] [scaled_joint_trajectory_controller]: Action status changes will be monitored at 20.00 Hz.
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.103325321] [io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for system interface to initialize...
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.153465010] [io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for system interface to initialize...
[ur_ros2_control_node-1] [INFO] [1664881748.203662807] [io_and_status_controller]: Waiting for system interface to initialize...

Here we go

There seems to be something else running on the robot using the RTDE input fields. Do you have a fieldbus activated? We had a section for that in the ROS1 driver’s README that seems not to have made it to the ROS2 driver.

This could also be caused by another URCap installed on the robot.

Let me add that we are currently working on replacing the requirement on RTDE inputs for most things, but we won’t be able to ditch the RTDE inputs completely in the near future.

This solved my Problem.
Thanks a lot.

1 Like